General/Off topic subforum?

Post about site issues and suggestions here.

would u want off topic and/or general talk (non ft related) subforums?????????????????????

Yes
88%
No
10%
I don't care
3%

Total votes: 40

danooct1

General/Off topic subforum?

Postby danooct1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:45 pm

sup guys

I was curious if anyone would be interested in a general talk/off-topic section that didn't necessarily have to do with Famitracker? I know this was proposed at some point on the senaculum boards but jsr wasn't too keen on the idea, but with the number of times the "General Talk" Famitracker subforum has been used as an off-topic section anyway I was interested in revisiting the issue.

it doesn't necessarily even have to be completely off the wall type posts, jsr could set a limit on the range of topics he'd like there (no "what did you eat today????" dumb threads, for example) but these threads wouldn't be competing with Famitracker general-talk for attention.

just thought i'd throw this out there.
famiTRACKER

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Re: General/Off topic subforum?

Postby jrlepage » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Yeah I think that's a good idea. jsr has said in the past that this forum started out as nothing more than a support forum, but the community has grown significantly since 2007 and I think we need to acknowledge that by giving it a place to discuss things that aren't necessarily Famitracker- or music-oriented.

With this new forum having (hopefully) more moderator presence than the old one, I think we can rest assured the place won't turn into a mess anytime soon either.
Follow me on Twitter.

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:26 pm

I support this. If nothing else, it should help keep the other sections free of clutter.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:30 pm

I'm also supportive of this for the reasons stated above. Having a place to discuss other stuff would also make this place a lot more interesting.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Agreed. Sounds like a great idea. There were certainly a few times I wanted to share/discuss loosely chiptune-related things but didn't know the right spot for that.
"More moderator presence" also sounds like a great idea - can I ask if you guys already have candidates in mind, or what the plan is for that?
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

danooct1

Postby danooct1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:54 pm

jaxcheese wrote:"More moderator presence" also sounds like a great idea - can I ask if you guys already have candidates in mind, or what the plan is for that?

i think in general jrlepage means that the mods will have much more of an ability to deal with things happening on the board. senaculum was pretty restrictive in moderator capabilities, afaik.

edit: but more mods would be cool too! less shitposting is always nice
famiTRACKER

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:02 pm

I'm just thinking if we're making an off-topic forum it would need a bit more coverage. 1-2 guys for a fairly niche music software support forum is fine, but more people are joining up pretty regularly now (or at least they were on the old forum) and an off-topic forum would be extra-vulnerable to the shitposter.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:43 pm

jaxcheese wrote:I'm just thinking if we're making an off-topic forum it would need a bit more coverage. 1-2 guys for a fairly niche music software support forum is fine, but more people are joining up pretty regularly now (or at least they were on the old forum) and an off-topic forum would be extra-vulnerable to the shitposter.

This is a good point. An off-topic forum would attract a lot more people and of course this would mean dealing with the occasional trolls and shitposters. I'll do my best to deal with those, and I'm pretty sure the other moderators will too.
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

danooct1

Postby danooct1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:53 pm

on phpBB you can specify users to be moderators of only a few subforums instead of global moderators who have banning rights and can mod every sub forum. maybe jsr could promote off topic mods for that section as needed if more globals aren't necessary.
famiTRACKER

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:59 pm

Ahh I didn't know that. Seems like a good idea too.
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”