Image tag discussion

Post about site issues and suggestions here.
MovieMovies1

Image tag discussion

Postby MovieMovies1 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:49 am

[Split from New Competition?! ~Dr. Merio]

I would assume image tag abuse would be:
1: Spamming tons of images to make posts take up a massive amount of space.
2: Using image tags to link to massive images of a resolution at least bigger than 8192*8192 pixels, which would also take up a massive amount of space.
3: Spamming tons of images of a resolution bigger than 8192*8192 pixels, which would take up even more space.

There is a very large possibility that people who register here in the future will use the image tag like i did (And possibly more people) in the post(s) you deleted. If you do not want the image tag to be used like this, you're better off disabling it altogether.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Dr. Merio

Re: New Competition?!

Postby Dr. Merio » Sun May 17, 2015 1:27 am

I'm personally not a fan of removing the images you guys have been posting but they're really cluttering this thread. Also removing the IMG tag would be harmful in a way because it's still convenient to have images attached with posts.

I don't think that the image size matters too much, so I don't see how an image must be huge to count as spamming.

Vinyl Scratch

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Sun May 17, 2015 1:31 am

I think good idea would be to add a drop-down style spoiler to condense huge posts and images.
Check out my Soundcloud for all my music.

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sun May 17, 2015 1:45 am

Vinyl Scratch wrote:I think good idea would be to add a drop-down style spoiler to condense huge posts and images.

Setting UCP -> Board Preferences -> Edit display options -> Display images within posts to "No" turns images into links. Though that turns all images into links regardless of their content.

Maybe there's some way to modify this option to only turn images larger than a certain size (>= 2048x2048px?) into links.

MovieMovies1

Postby MovieMovies1 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:51 am

Dr. Merio wrote:I don't think that the image size matters too much, so I don't see how an image must be huge to count as spamming.

I never said image size mattered if an image is considered to be spam. I did however say that it is a contributing factor to image tag abuse, which by itself is a different subject than spamming images.

I feel that if further discussion on the image tag should take place, it should be moved to Site Issues and Suggestions, as to not derail this thread more than has already been done.

I am indeed very sorry for all the mess I have caused, please accept my apologies.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Dr. Merio

Re: Image tag discussion

Postby Dr. Merio » Sun May 17, 2015 2:13 am

I have split the topics. Thanks for suggesting it.

The thing is that images take up a lot of space, especially those bigger than 150x150. As I said, I personally don't have problems with posting such images but they're cluttering the board, and especially in the context of the competition thread, this shouldn't be done because it distracts from the thread's main purpose.

Anyway no hard feelings from me, I accept your apologies.

[EDIT: This post was very poorly worded so I tried making it more clear]

MovieMovies1

Postby MovieMovies1 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:27 am

Seeing as there is currently no definition for when usage of the image tag is appropriate, it definitely seems like a good idea to come up with some guidelines, like appropriate contexts for images and other things.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

PaulMannIV

Postby PaulMannIV » Sun May 17, 2015 2:29 am

MovieMovies1 wrote:Seeing as there is currently no definition for when usage of the image tag is appropriate, it definitely seems like a good idea to come up with some guidelines, like appropriate contexts for images and other things.

It'd be fair, considering most forums have rules about this, even Smogon (they're pretty hypocritical when applying said image rules, though...this coming from a member).
Should I know what this "VRC7" is and why my friends want me to learn it?

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sun May 17, 2015 2:35 am

MovieMovies1 wrote:Seeing as there is currently no definition for when usage of the image tag is appropriate, it definitely seems like a good idea to come up with some guidelines, like appropriate contexts for images and other things.

Adding guidelines for posting images would be a good idea. Until that's done though, it mostly relies on common sense, so try to determine if what you're going to post will be cluttering the board or if it's out of context. You should definitely post images if it's going to contribute positively to a post though (like here, for example).

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Sun May 17, 2015 10:56 am

I see no reason to disable the image tag, it's very useful when used right.

But just posting image macros or other irrelevant images is what I consider clutter and should be kept to a minimum. Please keep this in mind.

MovieMovies1 wrote:There is a very large possibility that people who register here in the future will use the image tag like i did (And possibly more people) in the post(s) you deleted.

I hope this won't be a problem, but I can update the guidelines if necessary. But one thing is for sure, if there already are such posts then it will attract more similar posts, that's why these posts was removed.
Famitracker developer

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”