Add a "General Chiptune" board

Post about site issues and suggestions here.
HertzDevil

Add a "General Chiptune" board

Postby HertzDevil » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:00 am

A less unserious take on my response to the state of affairs of the off-topic discussion board:

The off-topic discussion board is unproductive for people registering here for chiptune discussion, takes up an undue amount of resource (very much more than, say, posting unofficial FTM modules), and said resource could be better spent on allowing discussion related to chiptune in general; threads like chiptune competitions or non-NES chiptune formats have nothing to do with FamiTracker itself, and could be placed in a separate board instead of General Talk, so that the FamiTracker subforum deals with FamiTracker exclusively, whereas these contents not directly related to the FamiTracker software can be organized together in another specific place. The posts allowed there would be precisely the same as the "off-topic discussion" present in the old forum.

A name like "General Chiptune" would fit into the original intent for a non-FamiTracker-related board more than "Off topic discussion" which implies that absolutely anything is allowed; as it stands right now, only one thread of the first page is of interest to creating chiptune, yet this board has more posts than any other single board, suggesting that the purpose of having an off-topic section has totally deviated from the rest of the forum since its creation. Either the entire board should be removed / archived, or heavy moderation should take place in case such a chiptune board will not be created.
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes 0CC-FamiTracker and MEGA ZUN.

Join my forum for 0CC-FamiTracker discussion and more

drdevil

Re: Add a "General Chiptune" board

Postby drdevil » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:55 am

This is a good idea. And for matter, I think a "General Music" board would be better, as people could post any music they made (many of us also make music on DAWs, me included)

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:32 am

drdevil wrote:And for matter, I think a "General Music" board would be better, as people could post any music they made (many of us also make music on DAWs, me included)

A few users have gotten into trouble because of this specifically, so yes.

w7n

Postby w7n » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:07 am

1. Rather than saying I am against the idea, it is unlikely that jsr would have approved this even when his last online date updates. I myself is not against the idea but not too fond of it.
2. The off topic board is not meant to be productive from the very start, nor is it the sole(or even major) cause for any decline in attention in the music boards. I for one stays productive in recent years but I still like to see some activities in the off topic boards. Humans know how to enjoy themselves; machines know how to solve tasks and be productive.
I am not saying that we should leave the off topic board as is though.
nsf.nesbbs.com under reconstruction, better player might be available in the future.

VRC6 PWM is GAY because it has colours of the rainbow in the NSFPlay keyboard visualizer.

James_S

Postby James_S » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:17 am

w7n wrote:1. Rather than saying I am against the idea, it is unlikely that jsr would have approved this even when his last online date updates. I myself is not against the idea but not too fond of it.
2. The off topic board is not meant to be productive from the very start, nor is it the sole(or even major) cause for any decline in attention in the music boards. I for one stays productive in recent years but I still like to see some activities in the off topic boards. Humans know how to enjoy themselves; machines know how to solve tasks and be productive.
I am not saying that we should leave the off topic board as is though.

How Can JSR Approve This If There Isnt A JSR
/s (but seriously, jsr hasn't logged into these forums in months?)

i approve of a general music board, i'd like to share and hear non-chip/FT works and leave the off topic as it is. (without the forum games/spam)
that is, if JSR ever visits here again to implement it. im pretty sure only admins on phpBB can add boards from what ive seen as a mod of the (ded) x69 boards.

edit: dadadada op only said "general chiptune". i would also like this to expand to "general music".
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

Sky Yoshi

Postby Sky Yoshi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:45 am

GI man!
I wish this WBCT!
I'm Sky Yoshi and I'm a Japanese Tracker.
I am back from 5 months of absent!
Check out my Links to see what I do!
Do you wanna be pointless? Click here!

Blaze

Postby Blaze » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:27 pm

---removed

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”