Why the original/cover split?

Post about site issues and suggestions here.
SamW

Why the original/cover split?

Postby SamW » Thu May 21, 2015 9:10 pm

As I mentioned in my cover thread a while back, I'm questioning why there's a split in covers and originals on the forum. As a creator I find this extremely inconvenient and I'm fairly sure I'm not alone - it doesn't make sense having to maintain two threads and segregating your work when it's less hassle to maintain one. I've discussed this with Dr. Merio and we both agree on that this is a hassle for forum users. I'd much prefer to see a return to the classic "show off your work" subforum and have everything mesh together, making it easier to maintain.

Additionally, if categorization is an issue, is there no possible solution of using a plugin to perhaps add icons to threads or make thread title guidelines? I know I barely make content in FamiTracker, but I preferred the older system of maintaining one thread and keeping it that way, and in the case I do make music in FamiTracker (which does happen in a blue moon), I'd rather have all of my stuff in one content and unsegregated.
ym2612 extraordinaire, metal & edm producer, professional weeblord, head over heels for harumi

twitter
soundcloud
super famidev

Harumi

Re: Why the original/cover split?

Postby Harumi » Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm seconding this. I'd rather have the option to make a single thread for everything than having to jump between two the whole time. I've wanted to post more of my works, but this is the main thing that's been putting me off from doing so.
spc700 wizard, happy-go-lucky composer, professional memefuck, fell like a brick for SamW

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Thu May 21, 2015 10:24 pm

I'd like to clarify what I discussed with Sam a few hours ago. While I certainly agree that the split sections means trouble for users who want to maintain a single thread for their stuff, I think it's better to have covers and originals as separate sections because this makes a better distinction of the material that's being posted. It keeps everything better organized.

However this is problematic for the case that he's describing. I can't think of a good way to solve this problem because merging both sections would involve users posting everything on a single, unorganized place, just like in the old Show Off Your Work section, and I'm not sure how one would go about letting people maintain a single thread where both original and cover works are being posted. Creating a new section just for this would be overkill in my opinion (although it would solve the problem in a way), and implementing a way of showing such threads in both sections is something that could easily be abused in order to get more attention.

As I said before, I support having both sections split, but I still think that this is problematic for people who want to maintain a single thread for all their music. I know posting one thread in each section is already possible but it's not ideal for this case.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

danooct1

Postby danooct1 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:51 pm

you could just have a daleksam covers thread and a daleksam originals thread.
famiTRACKER

James_S

Postby James_S » Fri May 22, 2015 1:17 am

I'd much rather have a single subforum for music, too.
Is there some way you can implement a plugin to flair your posts to be originals or covers? that would solve many issues.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Fri May 22, 2015 4:18 am

I vote to keep it. There is no way to force users to properly tag their thread titles and the current solution sorts that all out.
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Vinyl Scratch

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Fri May 22, 2015 5:31 am

I also think we should keep it the way it is. It keeps things organized. Plus, covers often overshadow originals, so keeping these sections separate will allow the originals to get more attention.
Check out my Soundcloud for all my music.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Fri May 22, 2015 3:01 pm

Xyz wrote:I vote to keep it. There is no way to force users to properly tag their thread titles and the current solution sorts that all out.

That's exactly the way I feel too. Back in the days of the old forum I was longing for a way to tell covers and originals apart at a glance, and the current system solves this entirely. Plus, it's not all that much more work for users or moderators to maintain two threads rather than a single one.
Follow me on Twitter.

///CH3DD4R/_

Postby ///CH3DD4R/_ » Fri May 22, 2015 5:16 pm

I also vote to keep it. I think it's really much more organized, and sometimes I don't really want covers, or sometimes I just don't want originals. Either way, They're kept sperate and organized.
int main() {
}

Gev

Postby Gev » Sat May 23, 2015 2:56 am

I like the new organization. If i'm looking for originals, i don't want to sift through all the covers.

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”