Why the original/cover split?

Post about site issues and suggestions here.
jsr
Site Admin

Re: Why the original/cover split?

Postby jsr » Sat May 23, 2015 10:50 am

The split was done because the old single section was very crowded, and some people are not interested in covers for example.

I don't understand why maintaining two threads would be such a hassle.
Famitracker developer

SamW

Postby SamW » Sat May 23, 2015 12:00 pm

It seems that the consensus is for the split, so I'll take back my suggestion.

My problem comes about is that I, personally, would prefer to have a single thread for everything I make - covers and originals alike - and the current system doesn't allow for that. Maintaning a "SamW's music" is less effort than maintaining "SamW's originals" and "SamW's covers", but I'll play ball.
ym2612 extraordinaire, metal & edm producer, professional weeblord, head over heels for harumi

twitter
soundcloud
super famidev

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Sat May 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Well, if someone made a collab and someone would lets say remix something from StarTropics or SMB and the Collab is in the originals thread, people then flame (or not) the person because of that.
Does anyone know what I get?
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sun May 24, 2015 3:28 pm

I also want to keep it split, but it would be nice of you could browse through all music posts without them being sorted as covers and originals. Would this be possible jsr?
Here's my YouTube channel, my SoundCloud page and my Twitter account.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun May 24, 2015 4:05 pm

ollaxe wrote:I also want to keep it split, but it would be nice of you could browse through all music posts without them being sorted as covers and originals. Would this be possible jsr?

Only by having a single section with a mandatory tagging field on all topics posted in it (e.g. [Cover] vs. [Original], [Single] vs. [Album], plus tags for the relevant chips used since people tend to note that already).
Last edited by Stratelier on Sun May 24, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sun May 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Topic tag plugins that support tag filtering do exist for phpBB. It can be configured such that only a few tags are allowed; apart from [Cover] and [Original], perhaps these tags can also be used:
  • [Remix], as sometimes it is difficult to decide whether remixes belong in covers or originals based on the amount of user-created content in the FTMs;
  • [Collab], in case a lot of users feel like submitting incomplete FTMs and requesting completion from others;
  • [Compo], which can only be used by admins and mods for competitions (previously these resided in FamiTracker Talk but I felt that was not the most appropriate subforum).
Of course the tag plugin allows simultaneous use of multiple tags, so people who put both covers and originals could do that in a single topic and the viewers can still filter topics in one forum.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”