Idea: All off-topic threads must be approved

Post about site issues and suggestions here.

Should this be implemented?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 33

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Re: Idea: All off-topic threads must be approved

Postby jrlepage » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:01 am

I go away for a few months, and come back to 21 people essentially endorsing censorship? Wow. I'm shocked.
Follow me on Twitter.

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:30 am

Eeh, I wouldn't say so. This thing didn't go anywhere, anyway.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:57 pm

Thank god it didn't, but it still doesn't take away from the fact 21 forum members (at least) would be okay with censorship. Not something I would've expected from a predominantly American crowd.
Follow me on Twitter.

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Actually these 21 people want less spamming here, though I don't think consequently approving threads is the right thing to do.

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:39 am

Honestly, I really don't care at this point.
I'm not very active here anymore. If you'd like to get in contact or listen to my stuff, please feel free to do so here, here, and/or here. Hope to see you there!

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:15 am

Roflo wrote:Actually these 21 people want less spamming here, though I don't think consequently approving threads is the right thing to do.

Exactly. That's the wrong way to go about it.
Follow me on Twitter.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:36 pm

if your concern is about censorship then why is there any moderation on this board in the first place

we all subscribe to some level of censorship when using a message board, the mere fact that you can be banned for something you say is a form of censorship, it deprives the person of a voice on that website because of their beliefs

it has become clear that frequent requests for people to post more quality threads in the off-topic section have been met on deaf ears. however this does not extend to the entire member base, and while I admit i voted for approvals, that should only be taken as a last resort before completely shutting down the board.

an alternative solution would be to ban members who repeatedly post garbage threads from posting in the off-topic section period. this allows for discussion to continue without requiring approval and keeps the spam out of the forum. (i know phpBB is capable of this, being an administrator on a board using the software)

(even this is necessarily "censorship," in any private website you will have to subscribe to some level of censorship, it is up to you as the user if you feel that censorship is appropriate and rational or not and then decide whether or not to patronize that website)

TorgoHiggins

Postby TorgoHiggins » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Censorship is a very loaded word, and while it might technically apply, trying to curtail some spam and establish some quality controls is not, in any way, censorship as most people tend to think of it.

DMT Produktionen

Postby DMT Produktionen » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm still not seeing why this should be implemented. Off topic discursions are off topic discursions. Not everything needs to be productive. I know there are cases of spam that needs to be addressed, and admitly I have not visted the off topic fourms, but is it really worth the hassle of using an approval system?

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”