Idea: All off-topic threads must be approved

Post about site issues and suggestions here.

Should this be implemented?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 33

w7n

Re: Idea: All off-topic threads must be approved

Postby w7n » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:17 am

drdevil wrote:This is a good idea. It will help rid the forum of shot posting threads. And for that matter, threads should also have to be approved in other sections (such as General Talk)

I don't think this rule should also apply to General Talk. The nature of that board is about the FT tracker (unlike the off-topic board), so if any off-topic thread is posted in General Talk, mods can have it shot immediately.
Last edited by w7n on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nsf.nesbbs.com under reconstruction, better player might be available in the future.

VRC6 PWM is GAY because it has colours of the rainbow in the NSFPlay keyboard visualizer.

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:12 am

Or only threads created by new users need to be approved by mods.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:10 pm

Roflo wrote:Or only threads created by new users need to be approved by mods.

But how long does a user remain "new"?
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:30 pm

I think a user remains new on phpBB until they post 3 times. If it's enabled, they're assigned a "Newly registered user" usergroup at first or something like that, and that group gets removed from them after they get 3 of their posts approved I think.

For other sections it's not necessary imo, since off-topic is the only one that's getting misused. The worst that happens in other sections is a misplaced thread, and I can easily move those so nothing else is necessary.

Let's give off-topic a new cool name like "the place where you don't shitpost but you discuss stuff instead if you disagree say hi to the banhammer kk"
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Dr. Merio wrote:I think a user remains new on phpBB until they post 3 times

This could easily lead to spamming to get three posts, but I think we should worry about that when the time comes. Unless the time is now.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Roflo wrote:Maybe rename 'offtopic' to 'news from real world', or something more specific than just 'offtopic'.

It's actually called Off Topic Discussion.

MOD PLS MERGE THE TOP POST WITH THIS ONE I ACCIDENTALLY MADE A NEW POST
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com

Tromino

Postby Tromino » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Yes, this is a good idea.
This is a good idea, yes.
A good idea.
Yes.
As angry as Resetti
Without any spaghetti
Poor little boy

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:14 pm

I wouldn't have approved of this topic. You should realize how lucky you are.

(I would vote NO on this, with a strong opinion, but also this is not a democracy so who cares.)

TorgoHiggins

Postby TorgoHiggins » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:24 am

If the staff is fine with doing the extra legwork and it's what the community wants I don't see the problem with it.

Huh. Well that was a nice non-answer.

Ok, lemme try again. In a vacuum I'd say no. Speaking as a total outsider and taking a perusal of your last few months' worth of postings in your off-topic forum, even for a small board it really ain't that bad. I've seen smaller forums do worse. Literally dozens of dead subsections just to have them, doling out mod status to all those dead sections (resulting a forum population that is like three-quarters staff), and forum "games" that were literally just things like "GET TO 1000 POSTS AS FAST AS POSSIBLE." Real face-palmy stuff. I mean, if that's your bag that's fine, but in a couple cases they were communities that wanted to be taken seriously.

You guys have one, catch-all off-topic section and a few active moderators, which is about where things ought to be at in a community this size. Looking from the outside in, this place is doin' a-ok. You're going to have a little chaff and some nonsense drift in. You can't really help that. Moderation is like dusting: You can be as obsessive about it as you want, but in the end the sum total of dust you're cleaning isn't changing, you're just making yourself go through the process of cleaning more often. Even if you do force Off-Topic threads to go through moderator approval first, that's no guarantee that the thread won't go to hell anyway.

EDIT: As a possible counter-analogy, moderation is like polishing a car. Keep up on it and a lot of the dirt and dust ultimately will just slide off your vehicle. In other words, maintain the standard. In time, people will adjust. Or leave.

So... basically, yeah, if the staff is fine with doing the extra legwork and it's what the community wants I don't see the problem with it.

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:10 am

While this is a good idea, there are some unanswered questions: First of all, what happens if there aren't any moderators around for a long period of time? People will have to wait to get their topics approved far longer than they should. Second, what would happen to forum games, such as "Birdquest" or "Mega Man and Proto Man Make a Sandwich"?

And since we're on the topic of discussion threads, do you think we could add a "General Chat Thread"? It's basically a place, where people can talk about whatever they want (NOT including shitposting) without having to make a new topic for a subject that wouldn't last long. The YTTalk forums have one and it's a great way to socialize with people.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”