Idea: All off-topic threads must be approved

Post about site issues and suggestions here.

Should this be implemented?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 33

MiniMacro

Idea: All off-topic threads must be approved

Postby MiniMacro » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:53 pm

So a few of us (including Dr. Merio) were discussing ways to regulate the Off-Topic Discussion section better, as there have been more silly, useless threads recently. I came up with this idea, and Dr. Merio told me that it is completely possible in phpBB. It seems like the most reasonable solution that does not involve closing the board, and it would still allow genuine discussion threads to come to fruition. In case you couldn't tell by the topic title, this is:

All threads posted to the Off-Topic Discussion section must be approved by a moderator before being posted and able to be replied to.

So, what do you think? I am including a poll in this post; and you may reply with any questions or concerns. Thank you.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Dr. Merio

Re: Idea: All off-topic threads must be approved

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:07 am

Like MiniMacro explained, the reason why this would be great to have is so we can encourage meaningful discussion in the section. I'm kinda getting bored of nuking new threads and telling people that the section is meant for discussion, so this would be a great solution. As far as I know, thread approvals is possible in phpBB.

Regardless of whether this is implemented or not, it would be a great idea to place a sticky or announcement in the top of the section to explain that it's meant for discussion. Forum rules could be set up for that section like they are in the rest of the sections in the forum, but it depends on jsr and since he's away, this is not possible right now, so that could be a temporary solution.

Once again, it's not too hard to have productive conversations guys; that's what the section is meant for. If you're not capable of that for whatever reason, or if you don't care, you can simply not say anything. If you all did that, this thread wouldn't exist at all.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:09 am

I'm on board with this.
uh who's this lmao

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:07 am

Surprising how this thread has not gotten more attention; seeing as how it is one of the most discussed things in the FT community.
Last edited by MiniMacro on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:14 am

Wait a bit more. People won't give instant replies to everything.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:50 am

So far, Yes is winning with 7 votes out of 9. For the people that picked No, care to explain why? I'm curious.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:44 am

MiniMacro wrote:So far, Yes is winning with 7 votes out of 9. For the people that picked No, care to explain why? I'm curious.

Making sensible threads isnt that hard. If everyone get this, the problem is solved.
We don't live in a kindergarten.

w7n

Postby w7n » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:19 am

Roflo wrote:
MiniMacro wrote:So far, Yes is winning with 7 votes out of 9. For the people that picked No, care to explain why? I'm curious.

Making sensible threads isnt that hard. If everyone get this, the problem is solved.
We don't live in a kindergarten.

Yet some do fail to get this idea and there isn't a good way to tell them before they post garbage threads. For instance, if you sticky a topic named 'off topic board rules', chances are they will still post without even taking a glimpse of the rules.
nsf.nesbbs.com under reconstruction, better player might be available in the future.

VRC6 PWM is GAY because it has colours of the rainbow in the NSFPlay keyboard visualizer.

drdevil

Postby drdevil » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:36 am

This is a good idea. It will help rid the forum of shot posting threads. And for that matter, threads should also have to be approved in other sections (such as General Talk)

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:03 am

Maybe rename 'offtopic' to 'news from real world', or something more specific than just 'offtopic'.

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”