Song Rating System

Post about site issues and suggestions here.

Do you want a song ratings system?

Yes!
41%
Yes, but not with a Faithfulness rating
No votes
No!
59%

Total votes: 17

Teuthida

Song Rating System

Postby Teuthida » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:31 pm

As @BioMechanicalDude and I discussed in the Off-Topic Board(http://forums.famitracker.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2521&p=17496), I think it's a good idea to have a dedicated ratings system for songs posted on the Music Board. People could give ratings from 1 to 5(or some other number) and the site would average them out to give an overall rating for the song. Not only would this make it easier for people to give feedback on songs, but it would also help cut down on meaningless, simple responses like "Very good! :)". Of course, if people wanted to give a more in-depth analysis, they could still leave a reply. For covers, there should be two ratings options, Quality and Faithfulness to the Original. Both options could be disabled in case the thread was about something else or wasn't concerned about faithfulness.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

BioMechanicalDude

Re: Song Rating System

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Hey, glad you made this thread... Although I can see some people voting against this. It's just two people, sure, but I still wonder why. This is a great idea. What negative sides are there to consider?
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

MagicSpider

Postby MagicSpider » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:49 pm

I have a bad feeling about the rating system. It could be easy to hate/dislike people's musics. See those 4 anonyms ones voting 'No' (I'm the 5th), they don't even say why they don't like the idea.
Last edited by MagicSpider on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 pm

It has to somehow work, just not in the form of a forum software extension. Most people who need / want ratings like that could have used sites like YouTube or Battle of the Bits already, the response rate is roughly the same but these have a centralized user page for those people to organize their works.
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes 0CC-FamiTracker and MEGA ZUN.

Join my forum for 0CC-FamiTracker discussion and more

Doc2211

Postby Doc2211 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Maybe you could have a 5 star rating system, and if you give anything less than a 5, you could explain why you gave it that score.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave them wondering.

soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/soundsync5000

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:36 pm

HertzDevil wrote:It has to somehow work, just not in the form of a forum software extension. Most people who need / want ratings like that could have used sites like YouTube or Battle of the Bits already, the response rate is roughly the same but these have a centralized user page for those people to organize their works.

I would disagree here, at least when talking about how it is in my case. I barely get any attention on YouTube. (I haven't used Battle of the Bits though) The only reason I personally want ratings is not because of the system itself, but to get some feedback. Mine and other people's work often remains overlooked simply because writing a comment would take too much time. A rating system would be a nice and fast way to get that feedback. I know it's probably hard to implement this in the forums, but there has to be a way. Either that, or people will have to use polls. I do agree that this can create another issue. Someone could not like the songs as much and give a lower rating, but that wouldn't really explain why they like it.

Doc2211 wrote:Maybe you could have a 5 star rating system, and if you give anything less than a 5, you could explain why you gave it that score.

I don't think that' will work either. That would just turn people off from giving ratings and we won't be getting any feedback again.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:48 am

BioMechanicalDude wrote:I barely get any attention on YouTube. (I haven't used Battle of the Bits though) The only reason I personally want ratings is not because of the system itself, but to get some feedback.

Almost all your YouTube uploads have more views then your corresponding threads at this forum have attachment download counts, it baffles me that you think in this way. The average amount of feedback to expect here for complete works is really just roughly the same as a YouTube channel with 100~400 subscribers; the major reason you might get more of them here, in the form of comments, is because users can upload work-in-progress modules and receive input from other people as they finish their projects.

MagicSpider wrote:I have a bad feeling about the rating system. It could be easy to hate/dislike people's musics. See those 4 anonyms ones voting 'No' (I'm the 5th), they don't even say why they don't like the idea.

Except for the part where threads on this forum have fewer meaningless responses, this occurs anywhere with a rating system.
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes 0CC-FamiTracker and MEGA ZUN.

Join my forum for 0CC-FamiTracker discussion and more

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:09 am

I guess you're right, HertzDevil. Song ratings are the kind of thing that seemed good at the time but don't make sense when you really look into them. Now that I know this, I think I'll start uploading my songs to YouTube!
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:29 am

HertzDevil wrote:Almost all your YouTube uploads have more views then your corresponding threads at this forum have attachment download counts, it baffles me that you think in this way.

Oh... I guess I messed up there. :oops: I should look at the data before making an ass of myself... I guess it was the lack of comments that made me think that way... Who knows? Well, OK... Now that I think about it, the forums are better-suited for WIP projects. It's still pretty annoying that a lot of times, people don't express their opinions about the works they listen to, which is bad for newcomers, who absolutely need feedback. (Not everyone wants to make a YouTube channel) It also can turn older members away and they soon find it more and more difficult for them to post anything here (such is the case with za909, at least, and yes, I know he also has a YouTube channel, but this is one way that decreases his interaction with the community)

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:17 pm

Out of 5 ranking system is no replacement for good ol' CC
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”