Song Rating System

Post about site issues and suggestions here.

Do you want a song ratings system?

Yes!
41%
Yes, but not with a Faithfulness rating
No votes
No!
59%

Total votes: 17

BioMechanicalDude

Re: Song Rating System

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Xyz wrote:Out of 5 ranking system is no replacement for good ol' CC

Uuuh... I don't really know what that is. :D Care to explain?
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 am

He's saying that a 5-star system can't compare to actual comments.

(Side note: this is the second time this week I've clarified something for someone. I wonder why?)
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:43 am

Teuthida wrote:(Side note: this is the second time this week I've clarified something for someone. I wonder why?)

Because internet? I still do a double-take every time somebody pulls a "smh" because I keep forgetting what it means.

The thing about a rating system is that while it provides a nice snapshot of people's reactions, it simply does not compare to the actual reactions themselves. And most of the time, people don't feel like putting in that effort. It's not related to music specifically, it happens to every artistic creation posted on the Internet.

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:37 pm

And that's the main problem. Not too many people bother to comment on most of the works posted here. A lot of people (especially newcomers) don't get any advice or constructive criticism, that they may need. I really don't know what to do about it anymore. It's really discouraging to not get any feedback, even though a lot of people have heard your music.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!

kfaraday

Postby kfaraday » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:19 pm

most constructive criticism is only really useful as general advice ("seek out people u think are good", "learn basic music theory", "think about what and why stuff u like works, and what they were thinking at the time"), which is why most threads asking for specific advice tends to either be ignored or insulted, particularly if they're not rly doing anything interesting

so i guess rating out five wld be cool bc you'd get to see what people think are good...? but it's not that much more useful & prob wouldn't get used much, unless people really wanted to give out poor ratings. maybe forum contests wld be good or something

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:53 pm

Well, that seems to be a pretty serious issue in the community, then. People need to be more responsible and helpful when it comes to these things, but this is something beyond my reach at this point.

kfaraday

Postby kfaraday » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:01 am

a thing we cld do if we wanted to push creators slightly more wld be something like monthly or seasonal contests here, which could be cool. maybe give people nice badges if they do well

altho that sort of thing is on botb, and people can just go there for that, but maybe this forum needs its own thing?

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:35 am

Contests like that are good idea! And, yes, BOTB has these things, but BOTB has one major disadvantage: you can't post covers. Now, I'm not saying we should make our contests only about covers, but they should be "cover friendly" or we can have another set of contests just for covers. It also helps that we specialize in NES/Famicom hardware, which would keep things consistent to some extent. We really should start doing those (the badges are another great idea, but they need to be implemented somehow in the forums). I mean, what do we have to look forward to, otherwise? Famicompo? That's a cool contest, but it's only once a year and it's not even ours. Seasonal (or even monthly) contests will motivate people to both create and comment and they'll make the forums more active.

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”