Are there ways we could improve interest in these forums?

Post about site issues and suggestions here.
RavenousSoothing

Are there ways we could improve interest in these forums?

Postby RavenousSoothing » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:40 pm

I've only been here for a bit, but it's kinda obvious how low-traffic the forums are. Maybe we can find somewhere to post about it. Suggestions?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN1Bwv ... vViHGRrjGw

Listen, I'm desperate. Don't judge me.

Teuthida

Re: Are there ways we could improve interest in these forums?

Postby Teuthida » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:17 pm

I can't explain how to fix the issue, but I can explain the cause.

After 0CC started gaining popularity, jrlepage decided to ban all unofficial FamiTracker modules. This had a dangerous effect on the community, since most of the experienced users were switching to 0CC at this time. Not willing to downgrade to post on this forum, they moved to various private groups and chat servers, leaving only the newbs. This created a vicious cycle: new users could no longer get quality feedback on their songs, leaving the forums in a state of quality stagnation. This also caused the more experienced users to look down upon the forums as a home for bad music.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

RavenousSoothing

Postby RavenousSoothing » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:25 pm

I think something can still be made out of this. that megamanrocks kid was banned, so at least he's out of the way. I'm trying to get a youtube channel going, but it's only a hobby. While I've never used unofficial modules, I think (even if it's got a ways to go) that this forum can have more energy again.

Well, nothing can be fixed by words. I might try posting my stuff on r/music, if only for a little more traffic. I guess just go with the flow, and if this board goes away, I'll find another.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:09 am

I have a solution.
DUAL WIELD MOTHERFUCKERS. (aka not abandoning vanilla just because you also use 0CC)
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

RavenousSoothing

Postby RavenousSoothing » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:45 pm

I personally do that for sure. I'm working on an improved version of a E1M1 cover in vanilla, but other covers and originals have more need for being able to test if two notes are consonant. Also, grooves can be useful. However, I'm biased to vanilla, as I use a Mac for Famitracker (long story) and 0cc crashes very easily.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:17 am

Teuthida wrote:I can't explain how to fix the issue, but I can explain the cause.

After 0CC started gaining popularity, jrlepage decided to ban all unofficial FamiTracker modules. This had a dangerous effect on the community, since most of the experienced users were switching to 0CC at this time. Not willing to downgrade to post on this forum, they moved to various private groups and chat servers, leaving only the newbs. This created a vicious cycle: new users could no longer get quality feedback on their songs, leaving the forums in a state of quality stagnation. This also caused the more experienced users to look down upon the forums as a home for bad music.

I can confirm this theory, though I didn't move on to 0CC-FT, but I moved on to FL Studio. I still use FamiTracker for sure, but I've found other better places with people who are more on my level when it comes to music experience. This means that I can give more detailed and indepth feedback than here, which is a fun challenge and not as repetitive. Here, the newbeginners make the same problems time and time again, and with the lack of more experienced users, it gets pretty boring to say the same things over and over. This is very unfortunate, and I feel kinda bad about this, because in the beginning is when you need feedback the most. Maybe I should make a tutorial series in which I explain some basic but important concepts. Not on how to use the program, but on how to make good music using it. Does this sound like a good idea? Would anyone be interested in watching such a series?
Last edited by ollaxe on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here's my YouTube channel, my soundcloud page and my website. Some of these are emptier than others, but still.

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:11 pm

we should get some korean postbots join and create hundreds of spam threads per minute until jsr's Very Important Servers™ are overloaded, that would certainly increase forum activity
uh who's this lmao

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”