Like or Upvote function for posts

Post about site issues and suggestions here.
Threxx

Like or Upvote function for posts

Postby Threxx » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Has such a feature been considered? It would allow people to appreciate posts which they agree with or acknowledge criticism without flooding the boards with replies. It's a simple addition which would reduce clutter and improve board quality.

Dr. Merio

Re: Like or Upvote function for posts

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:19 pm

YES

Having this feature would also help highlight useful posts better. Replying with "yes good" gets pretty boring after a while.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:04 pm

I feel like, if this feature were to be implemented forum-wide, there would begin to be less actual comments on stuff posted in the Original/Cover sections, with "Likes/Upvotes" in their place. These certainly won't say anything at all about what was done right/wrong with posted files, other than a totally ambiguous "X amount of users liked this post".

But aside from that, I'm all for this.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Shywolf wrote:I feel like, if this feature were to be implemented forum-wide, there would begin to be less actual comments on stuff posted in the Original/Cover sections, with "Likes/Upvotes" in their place. These certainly won't say anything at all about what was done right/wrong with posted files, other than a totally ambiguous "X amount of users liked this post".

But aside from that, I'm all for this.

It would probably be way to hard to implement this, but having a like-/upvote-button on all forums except the music ones maybe?
Here's my YouTube channel, my SoundCloud page and my Twitter account.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 pm

You may want to check this out.

The Discourse forum software has built-in support for upvoting individual posts.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:03 am

I think this idea is silly. Not every place on the internet is social media nor need it follow its protocol
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

kfaraday

Postby kfaraday » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:45 am

imo botb style forums that let u either like or dislike a post w/ full list of users doing each would be good. Let The Lines Of Dissent Be Clear

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Xyz wrote:I think this idea is silly. Not every place on the internet is social media nor need it follow its protocol

That was not ever the intention of this feature request.

MrKyurem

Postby MrKyurem » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Xyz wrote:I think this idea is silly. Not every place on the internet is social media nor need it follow its protocol

That's like saying "The idea of having a levels for the player character in this game is silly. Not every game is an RPG, nor needs to follow its protocol."

Just because it's done by social media doesn't mean we want to do it to emulate social media.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:30 pm

I feel strongly about not having this kind of feature here. I'm an advocate for words, and it seems to me like "likes" (and especially "dislikes") are enemies of clear, relevant and on-point discussion. If we wanted comments to get likes we'd be running a facebook page, not a forum.

I kind of feel if there is a post or track you want to praise, you should be doing so with more than a simple mouseclick. But more importantly, if someone has said something you disagree with strongly enough to "dislike", then there's probably something you should be putting into words in some way.
Follow me on Twitter.

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”