Will there ever be another DemoCompo?

Post about site issues and suggestions here.
jaxcheese

Re: Will there ever be another DemoCompo?

Postby jaxcheese » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Xyz wrote:With the treatment from users towards jp for backing out of his previous compo, I wouldn't be surprised if he's offput from continuing the series. Regardless, this is an assumption and I think it'd be best to see if he still has interest. At a much later date of course.

If anything the users should be "offput" from getting involved in another compo after how the last one ended up. Though the slight harassment was unnecessary, no one should be held accountable for discouraging future compos.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:43 am

Okay, so I've done a bit more research on how DemoCompos work, and apparently they alternate between covers and originals. DemoCompo 8, were it to become a reality, would be for originals. While I wouldn't enter this (my composition skills are garbage and likely always will be), I'd still absolutely love to take part in the voting process.
I'm not very active here anymore. If you'd like to get in contact or listen to my stuff, please feel free to do so here, here, and/or here. Hope to see you there!

TheMudkipMaster12

Postby TheMudkipMaster12 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:57 am

Omg this would be really fun! I would totally participate in the originals category if the compo started again.
"It's funny because cool, means cold." -Savestate, Feb. 17, 2016

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:27 am

TheMudkipMaster12 wrote:Omg this would be really fun! I would totally participate in the originals category if the compo started again.

You'd ace it, I'm sure!
I'm not very active here anymore. If you'd like to get in contact or listen to my stuff, please feel free to do so here, here, and/or here. Hope to see you there!

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:05 pm

Covers section if it is done freely and not by choice.
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:21 am

Are democompo's short? I mean, is it a huge competition with multiple phases or is it just "send in a song within x days and then vote"? If it's the second one, then I'd participate, no question about it.
Here's my YouTube channel, my soundcloud page and my website. Some of these are emptier than others, but still.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:03 pm

As far as I recall, DemoCompo 7 worked like this: First there was a voting phase to choose the expansion chip that was going to be used (N163 with 4 channels was chosen). After this phase ended, people would get time to work on their entries, which I think was 1 month. Then there was the voting phase (around 2 weeks) and finally the results were released.

The way it worked was pretty simple. I'd like to see something like this at some point again.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

TechEmporium

Postby TechEmporium » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:42 pm

You know what I wish would happen?

Everytime JSR releases a new beta & bunch of release candidates on the forum, when he's sure that he's found the right candidate for release, a DemoCompo is started 1 month prior to the release of the final version. Aside from the mechanics Dr. Merio listed (which may as well remain the same,) just the fact that the competition coincides with the release of a new tracker version is what I feel ought to be done. That way, the winning demo can be packaged with the binary.
Technology: the one thing that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists, scientists & technicians!
(Lousy modern technology!)

http://techemporium.bananabo.xyz/
http://techemporium.vashid.us/

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”