>4 instruments

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Psionic

>4 instruments

Postby Psionic » Thu May 06, 2021 3:30 pm

Recently, I've been getting back into FT, utilizing the de-facto standard (Dn-FT) and I find myself getting annoyed at having to toggle between instruments. Slowly but steadily, I'm realizing that all of the stuff I make usually has less than four instruments. Anyone else here has that same minimalist tendencies or am I just weird about it?
You're an infinite energy source with an near endless capacity for knowledge, yet your purpose seems specifically devoted just to bother me. Why?

Teuthida

Re: >4 instruments

Postby Teuthida » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:27 pm

FT has three useful shortcuts for swapping between instruments if you don't want to use your mouse. Ctrl and the up and down arrows will scroll through your instruments sequentially, and typing the number of an instrument in the Pattern Editor's Instrument Column will automatically select that instrument. If you want to change the instrument of multiple notes at once, you can select all the notes you want to change, select the instrument to want to change them to, and press Alt+S (If you're wondering how you know what number corresponds to which instrument, I usually commit the more important ones to memory as I'm writing).

Even so, there's nothing wrong with using less instruments than most people. Everything you can do in an instrument is also possible in the Pattern Editor with effects and volume commands, so it's really a question of how much you want to avoid repeating yourself (you'll also have to use high Speed values if you want more complex sound design without instruments). I personally like abstracting arps, percussion, duty cycling and the like into instruments, but that's just my own personal tastes, not yours. That being said, it never hurts to move outside your comfort zone a little and try using more instruments in your work.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg