What makes a song fun to cover for you?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Stratelier

Re: What makes a song fun to cover for you?

Postby Stratelier » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:24 am

Threxx wrote:...enjoying the product I am creating.

Oh, this. This so much. I've made starts on songs that are awesome that I really like, when my attempts to cover them end up being ... pathetic. Which ultimately makes the song Not Fun. Conversely, one or two songs I've been able to create decent covers for like it was nothing, which ultimately makes it Fun regardless of my opinions about the original song.

It gets real discouraging fast when you're attempting to cover something and nothing you do (even just a single measure, chord, or note) seems to work.

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Stratelier wrote:
Threxx wrote:...enjoying the product I am creating.

Oh, this. This so much. I've made starts on songs that are awesome that I really like, when my attempts to cover them end up being ... pathetic. Which ultimately makes the song Not Fun. Conversely, one or two songs I've been able to create decent covers for like it was nothing, which ultimately makes it Fun regardless of my opinions about the original song.

It gets real discouraging fast when you're attempting to cover something and nothing you do (even just a single measure, chord, or note) seems to work.

Yeah I know that feeling. I've been trying to cover Bouy Base Galaxy, and I just can't seem to get it right.
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:23 pm

Sometimes I think it's actually worse the more awesome the original song is.

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Highway Man wrote:Yeah I know that feeling. I've been trying to cover Bouy Base Galaxy, and I just can't seem to get it right.

"Bouy" Base Galaxy can be covered with at least four channels.
It may be worth filtering out higher/lower frequencies to get a better sense of the polyphony; time-stretching is also an option.
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:24 am

PostApocolyptica wrote:
Highway Man wrote:Yeah I know that feeling. I've been trying to cover Bouy Base Galaxy, and I just can't seem to get it right.

"Bouy" Base Galaxy can be covered with at least four channels.
It may be worth filtering out higher/lower frequencies to get a better sense of the polyphony; time-stretching is also an option.

Thanks. That'll help.
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot