NSF Importer

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
rainwarrior
Forum Staff

NSF Importer

Postby rainwarrior » Wed May 13, 2015 5:59 pm

A while ago, I made a tool for inspecting NSF files by dumping them into a high-speed Famitracker document. I thought I'd share the program here on the new forums:
http://rainwarrior.ca/projects/nes/nsfimport.html

A few compatibility notes:
  • Namco 163 expansion not supported.
  • 2A03 length and linear counters are not supported by Famitracker, they will be approximated.
  • 2A03 envelopes are not supported by Famitracker, they will be approximated.
  • Raw PCM samples are not supported.
  • A few other obscure hardware tricks not supported.
  • The least significant bit of VRC6 saw volume is ignored.
  • Editing is disabled, this program is for inspection only, not a fork of Famitracker.

You can ask for new features here if you want, but I will never implement them. I do not maintain this software anymore. For anyone who wishes to continue development or add features for themself, the source code is available at the linked page. Please let me know if you make updates, so that they can be shared.

Sylveon made an extended version for N163 / 5B / etc: http://forums.famitracker.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=720

Old thread: http://famitracker.com/forum/posts.php?id=2284

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Re: NSF Importer

Postby jrlepage » Wed May 13, 2015 6:23 pm

Curious as to why you decided to discontinue support for this. There were rumours of a text export feature making it into NSFPlay as a replacement for this project, but that never happened either. Did you abandon the idea altogether?
Follow me on Twitter.

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Thu May 14, 2015 7:09 am

What reason would I need to give to discontinue it? I've got no personal interest in any further improvement to it, and it takes a lot of time to develop software. I should need a reason to do something; I don't need any reason to not do it. Not doing is neutral. I'm not doing a great many things right now.

I did already add a text logging option to NSFPlay in its last version. Anybody who wants to could write a processor that converts NSFPlay logs into Famitracker data.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Thu May 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Defensive much. ;)
Follow me on Twitter.

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Fri May 15, 2015 12:14 am

That statement applies to itself as much as it does my post, or this post. ^_^

But yes, I do feel the need to defend not working on it because people ask about it often. It's not just you. Apparently it needs to be addressed?

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Fri May 15, 2015 10:30 pm

I think the main reason is, to my recollection, you said you planned on continuing it. Something something not holding promises something.

That's probably the reason for all the people asking. Also N163 is out and many many people want to analyze the old games + newer nsfs.
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Mon May 18, 2015 2:56 am

I don't wish to debate what constitutes a promise, but I've been very clear that I'm not maintaining this program for a long time. I don't know what you think I promised, exactly, but I don't have a contract with anybody. I promise to give you 5000 dollars.

Anyhow, if you have any questions or comments about the importer itself, I'd rather respond to those than explain again that I no longer maintain this software.

recme

Postby recme » Mon May 25, 2015 7:39 pm

i feel as if nsf importing should be a staple for famitracker. is there any reason why it isnt implemented on famitracker?

its a shame 5B is not supported either. wouldve really gotten a kick out of inspecting some gimmick! music.

Radnyx

Postby Radnyx » Tue May 26, 2015 12:45 am

Not sure if you're aware, you probably are, but you can still copy, paste, cut, and delete notes/effects/etc. Probably isn't a huge deal, since the editing process is still hindered. Which makes me ask, is there actually an issue with allowing us to edit it normally?

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Tue May 26, 2015 12:55 am

Yes, I'm aware. All I really wanted to do was prevent people from using it in lieu of Famitracker. I didn't want to burden jsr with any bug reports from users who were using a hacked build like this. Now that it's, like, a billion versions behind, it might be a moot point.

Return to “General Talk”