What things do you do during song creation that can be perceived as strange?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
iYamWhatIYam

What things do you do during song creation that can be perceived as strange?

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:29 am

The title says it all, folks.

Mine would have to be creating percussion instruments first (like, ALWAYS), and never, EVER using a .FTI file unless I'm using samples.
(Please excuse my emphasis on certain words. I'm feeling frisky today.)
she/they. 20. do not perceive me

MiniMacro

Re: What things do you do during song creation that can be perceived as strange?

Postby MiniMacro » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:04 am

I close an instrument and reopen it when I change it even once.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Overlord99

Re: What things do you do during song creation that can be perceived as strange?

Postby Overlord99 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:06 am

I vastly prefer using Qxx and Rxx commands for note slides rather than 3xx ones. I only use the latter if I'm feeling lazy, to be honest.

iYamWhatIYam wrote:I'm feeling frisky today.
ayy bby wan sum fuk

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:15 am

Ew, who the hell uses a 3xx command? That's trash.

Overlord99 wrote:ayy bby wan sum fuk

u kno it lil slut ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
she/they. 20. do not perceive me

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:19 am

I will occasionally close my eyes and rhythmically flail my head and arms in vague drumming motions when I'm working on something really funky.
I sometimes wonder if this is a sign of mental illness.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:05 am

iYamWhatIYam wrote:Mine would have to be creating percussion instruments first (like, ALWAYS), and never, EVER using a .FTI file unless I'm using samples.

You're not alone, I build my instrument definitions from scratch every time, without exception.

LordAndrew

Postby LordAndrew » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:02 am

i write my melodies/harmonies by humming loudly like a madman and roughly transcribing them.

also, while writing drum parts I tend to either beatbox them or beat on the nearest pencils for ideas.
this also applies to drumline scores

unfortunately for example if you have five basses in a bass drum line it's very difficult to beatbox all five of them at the same time so that doesn't always work
but if it succeeds at anything it succeeds at making me look like a complete idiot while writing the musical dreck i produce

Pencildragon

Postby Pencildragon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:59 am

LordAndrew wrote:also, while writing drum parts I tend to either beatbox them or beat on the nearest pencils for ideas.
this also applies to drumline scores

unfortunately for example if you have five basses in a bass drum line it's very difficult to beatbox all five of them at the same time so that doesn't always work

I once had a student teacher in high school who was majoring in music education, he was natively a percussionist so he was working with us percussionists on a percussion ensemble piece. He beatboxed the hihat/bongo/shaker/marimba/glockenspiel parts at the same time. I can only describe it as this rhythmic-melodic thing that came out of his mouth. We were all speechless.

danooct1

Postby danooct1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:55 am

after making generally minor changes to the work in progress, i'll listen to the whole thing from the beginning. i probably listen to any given song a hundred times before it's finally done
famiTRACKER

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:00 am

Save roughly every 2 minutes
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus