FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
User avatar
GlennarN
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:14 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby GlennarN » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Does anyone else find that the noise channel has significantly lower volume in for example NSFplay compared to Famitracker? I actually have to raise the noise channel so much so that it sounds like crap in Famitracker in order to make it sound close to what I want in NSFplay. That makes me somewhat worried.... I will have pray to some higher being that noone listens to my entries in something other than NSFplay :/

User avatar
ollaxe
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby ollaxe » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 pm

GlennarN wrote:Does anyone else find that the noise channel has significantly lower volume in for example NSFplay compared to Famitracker? I actually have to raise the noise channel so much so that it sounds like crap in Famitracker in order to make it sound close to what I want in NSFplay. That makes me somewhat worried.... I will have pray to some higher being that noone listens to my entries in something other than NSFplay :/

Have you checked all the settings? In NSF-play syntesia, you can both transpose and change volume of each channel individually in the NSFplug settings.
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

User avatar
Pencildragon
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby Pencildragon » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:28 am

ollaxe wrote:
GlennarN wrote:Does anyone else find that the noise channel has significantly lower volume in for example NSFplay compared to Famitracker? I actually have to raise the noise channel so much so that it sounds like crap in Famitracker in order to make it sound close to what I want in NSFplay. That makes me somewhat worried.... I will have pray to some higher being that noone listens to my entries in something other than NSFplay :/

Have you checked all the settings? In NSF-play syntesia, you can both transpose and change volume of each channel individually in the NSFplug settings.

But wouldn't you need to somehow preface your track with what settings you used when you made it then? Which would be pretty hard to do in this situation. I'd assume everybody who hears my NSF would be using default settings or what they have found to be their preferred settings, not my preferred settings.

User avatar
rainwarrior
Forum Staff
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:23 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby rainwarrior » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:29 am

Different NES machines have different balance of channels, unfortunately. It is not a high precision machine. There's a lot of variation. You could buy the same model of NES three times and they'd all be different.

Same goes for NSF players, I guess. ;P I measured several NES' and Famicoms and tried to take an average to set the default levels.

When you're writing an NES tune, if the mix of your song is so fragile that a small variation in channel balance is going to ruin your mix, you've actually written something that will play poorly on an NES too. Try to orchestrate in a way that things are robust against this. It's very possible to do!

User avatar
GlennarN
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:14 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby GlennarN » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:01 am

Fair enough, I was not aware that there was such differences between individual consoles and such. That's pretty interesting.

I would not say that the mix is so fragile, it is just that I feel there is an optimal volume (I admit to having a bit of OCD when it comes to mixing...) for the noise channel on one of my tracks that ends up sounding a bit too harsh in Famitracker but fine in NSFplay. But seeing as there is no standard for channel volume levels, I guess "optimal" is not really obtainable across the board anyway.

I'll just mix the noise channel somewhat lower then, it is better to have it a bit too quiet than too loud. Hope it works out.

gotoandplay
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:17 pm

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby gotoandplay » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:12 pm

looks like I'll only have time for the one original after all :/ hope everyone is having better luck with theirs!

JohnLeagsdurg
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby JohnLeagsdurg » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:26 am

Been planning to partecipate in this compo but i haven't heard about this, can anyone tell me what i should do?

User avatar
Ahornberg
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:11 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby Ahornberg » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:54 am

I think I will miss the deadline too :(

User avatar
ImATrackMan
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:05 am
Location: Plantation, FL, US
Contact:

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby ImATrackMan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:24 pm

My entry will be the best and if I don't win I'm quitting chiptune.
Slowly working on a thing called "FaMIGA".
____________________________________________________
Youtube
Twitter (Stay off my lawn, kids)
Soundcloud.
I do all hardware recordings including Sunsoft5B, FDS, and MULTICHIP !
>quscx uvngw bebxm xqdyl<

User avatar
Tobikomi
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:17 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: FAMICOMPO PICO 2015 (starts 1 Nov 2015)

Postby Tobikomi » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:04 pm

ImATrackMan wrote:My entry will be the best and if I don't win I'm quitting chiptune.


I'm pretty sure you won't quit chiptuning. :)
ぼくのなまえはブライアン(とびこみ)だ。はじめまして!
My name is Bryan (Tobikomi). Nice to meet you!

My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bryan-ness-699934457/tracks
My Chipmusic: http://chipmusic.org/gameputer_bryan3


Return to “General Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest