FamiTracker songs that sound like the C64

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
MiniMacro

Re: FamiTracker songs that sound like the C64

Postby MiniMacro » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:43 am

irrelevant fact: Ei-How Yang (a bootleg FC developer) had a system in his cartridges which detected if it was a PAL system and speed up the engine and music accordingly.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

DRW

Postby DRW » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:49 am

That's not really anything special and can be done quite easily even with a normal standard cartridge. "Zooming Secretary", a homebrew game, does the same.

What I'd be more interested in: What method did he use to change the speed of the game itself?
Music is easy: There are some definite APU values for each note in NTSC and PAL.
But changing the speed of the game, so that a game plays the same in NTSC and PAL, that's not a mundane task. Any information on how he did this?

ImATrackMan

Postby ImATrackMan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:05 pm

All Tim Follin did for his music was add an extra 6th frame every 5 for his music timing.
Slowly working on a thing called "FaMIGA".
I do all hardware recordings including Sunsoft5B, FDS, and MULTICHIP !
>quscx uvngw bebxm xqdyl<

DRW

Postby DRW » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Another question about this topic: Is it possible to do this metallic/electric sound on the NES?

Examples:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCA0Fvrg4s&t=12m53s
12:53-13:06

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCA0Fvrg4s&t=16m48s
16:48-17:02

I've seen some good arpeggios on the NES to know that a C64-like arpeggio is possible. But I'm still looking for an NES/FamiTracker rendition that sounds as close as possible to that above sound effect.

Do you have any examples or can tell me actual games that used it?

By the way, it needs to be done with the standard channels: Pulse 1, pulse 2, triangle, noise.
Any creation that uses the Namco sound channel or any other addition would be of no use for me since my goal is to let my composer do such a music for an actual NES game that runs on a standard cartridge.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:02 am

That metallic sound is an example of the C64's built in pulse wave modulation. The NES cannot remotely achieve anything close to this with only internal channels due to only having 4 possible pulse widths. A duty envelope of {| 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 2 2 1 1} can act as a crude emulation of this effect, but not anything quite of the original timbre would be produced.

DRW

Postby DRW » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks for the information.

Since I don't know much about FamiTracker, could you please show me an example of what this would sound like?

za909

Postby za909 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:47 am

Here you go. Now your NES is a C64:
Attachments
sphere_brain_pal_like_its_supposed_to_be_v2.nsf
(7.77 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Drunk or Sober.nsf
(10.22 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
sphere_brain_pal_like_its_supposed_to_be_v2_n163.nsf
(9.64 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

DRW

Postby DRW » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:05 pm

The "Drunk or Sober" soundtrack is exactly what I'm looking for. But unfortunately, this soundtrack doesn't really help me.

As I said before: I need a composition that uses the standard channels only: Pulse 1, pulse 2, triangle, noise and nothing else.

The "Drunk and Sober" song uses the Namco channels, as I can see here: http://famitracker.com/forum/posts.php?id=5167

The Namco channels might be able to create a more faithful C64 sound. But my intention is not to have this music as a standalone composition.
I want my composer to create a C64-like soundtrack for an actual NES game that I'm working on which is supposed to run on a standard cartridge without any mappers and without special hardware.

I already have good examples for arpeggio effects (the one in "Darkman" is the best) and other stuff.
But that one metallic sound, I still haven't found an example of an NES game that uses it.

So, I need that metallic sound effect from "Drunk or Sober" and from the above "Batman" soundtrack, but created with the regular NES channels.

I know, this will sound less authentic. But that's a problem I cannot circumvent since my music is for an actual game.

That's why I was asking if somebody can create a little sample music using that metallic sound effect with the standard channels. So that I can see what exactly this would sound like on the NES in a standard game. How close the standard sound channels can replicate it.

I see now that the Namco channel can replicate it very well. But for my specific problem, I need to hear this sound created with the four default channels.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Samples maybe? It would sound like shit and eat processor power and memory, but it would at least be more faithful than anything else. If you only want it on the normal squarewaves, then za909's first example is as close as you'll get.
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

DRW

Postby DRW » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:07 pm

ollaxe wrote:Samples maybe? It would sound like shit and eat processor power and memory, but it would at least be more faithful than anything else.

Nah. They occupy too much space. I have only 32 KB for the whole game.

ollaxe wrote:If you only want it on the normal squarewaves, then za909's first example is as close as you'll get.

O.k.

I've got one more question, though:

Threxx said:
Threxx wrote:That metallic sound is an example of the C64's built in pulse wave modulation. The NES cannot remotely achieve anything close to this with only internal channels due to only having 4 possible pulse widths. A duty envelope of {| 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 2 2 1 1} can act as a crude emulation of this effect, but not anything quite of the original timbre would be produced.

Does this first "Sphere Brain" file use the duty envelope of {| 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 3 2 2 1 1}?
Because if it doesn't, I'd still like to hear a short example of this specific thing that Threxx was talking about to hear exactly what it sounds like.