Commercial Use of Music Created Using Famitracker

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
nirvana

Commercial Use of Music Created Using Famitracker

Postby nirvana » Sun May 17, 2015 9:39 am

Hi, if I made music using Famitracker, would I be able to use the music for a game that I intended to sell?

I am not familiar with the GNU General Public License, and the last thing I would want would be to spend a lot of time making music for a game with the program only to not be able to put it in the game.

Thanks
Last edited by nirvana on Sun May 17, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jsr
Site Admin

Re: Commercial Use of Music Created By Famitracker

Postby jsr » Sun May 17, 2015 9:58 am

Hello, yes you are allowed to use your music without restrictions. The GPL license doesn't cover artistic work created with GPL programs.
Famitracker developer

Scooblee

Re: Commercial Use of Music Created Using Famitracker

Postby Scooblee » Sun May 17, 2015 5:55 pm

It's been used a couple of times before to write for games, actually; Bloodrayne: Betrayal and Shovel Knight are two good examples (which are both by the same composer, btw, so maybe they're not as good examples as I originally thought. Oh well. :P )
Just another guy who does the chiptunes.
Links to my stuff: YouTube | Soundcloud | Twitter

James_S

Postby James_S » Sun May 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Scooblee wrote:It's been used a couple of times before to write for games, actually; Bloodrayne: Betrayal and Shovel Knight are two good examples (which are both by the same composer, btw, so maybe they're not as good examples as I originally thought. Oh well. :P )

I'm pretty sure that the Scott Pilgrim game's ost was also made in FT.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Mon May 18, 2015 8:38 pm

FamicomForever wrote:I'm pretty sure that the Scott Pilgrim game's ost was also made in FT.

Actually, it was by Anamanaguchi, a band that uses actual NESes and Game Boys. Besides, where would you make the electric guitars?
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

TechEmporium

Postby TechEmporium » Tue May 19, 2015 12:52 am

nirvana wrote:I am not familiar with the GNU General Public License, and the last thing I would want would be to spend a lot of time making music for a game with the program only to not be able to put it in the game.

Well, I guess I can sum up the whole idea of licensing with this analogy.

Pretend that you have a word processor that's been licensed under the GNU GPL. Now, you've used it to write your résumé, your college homework & a book. The GNU GPL only governs the way people can derive the word processor itself & redistribute it, but it doesn't govern the content you create with the word processor. So that means you can license your documents any way you wish.

The same applies to FamiTracker & your music.
Technology: the one thing that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists, scientists & technicians!
(Lousy modern technology!)

http://techemporium.bananabo.xyz/

w7n

Postby w7n » Sat May 23, 2015 1:09 pm

The thing I'm curious about is, has anyone used a modded FT engine in their own games?
I've tested before once, my own VRC7 engine runs 3 times faster than the FT VRC7 engine, and that's mostly because FT has to support all those user-defined settings. I wonder if removing a lot of settings would make the FT engine run much faster.
nsf.nesbbs.com under reconstruction, better player might be available in the future.

VRC6 PWM is GAY because it has colours of the rainbow in the NSFPlay keyboard visualizer.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sat May 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Shiru's FamiTone2 also plays 2A03-only music twice as fast as the FamiTracker NSF driver by restricting FamiTracker features, and uses text files exported by FamiTracker to produce binary music data.

No one will actually use the unmodified FamiTracker NSF driver in homebrews or hacks since it still completely lacks sound effect support which would further increase the CPU duty.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Sat May 23, 2015 5:58 pm

I used it in MOON8, but you probably wouldn't call that a "game". For my ongoing game project, I wrote the music in Famitracker and then exported to my own engine which had a subset of its capabilities, similar to FamiTone.

Return to “General Talk”