Which channel do you start for a cover?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
JohnLeagsdurg

Which channel do you start for a cover?

Postby JohnLeagsdurg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi guys, i'm still planning a 2nd cover for Famitracker, but the problem is i don't know in which channel do i start.
For example, in VRC6 there is the 2A03 channels including 3 new channels and i am a little confused in where do i start.

What do you guys choose the first channel to work on? Including on 2A03, VRC6, FDS, and the other expansion chips?

Dr. Merio

Re: Which channel do you start for a cover?

Postby Dr. Merio » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:42 pm

This question is kinda broad imo, but I think I can give some advice.

This obviously depends on what you're going to do, but before actually tracking the song, listen to the song you want to cover. How many channels/melodies/instruments can you hear? Based on this, try choosing an appropriate expansion to use. Which expansion can you use? It depends on what you want to achieve, but a lot of the time, VRC6 and MMC5 are good for starters since they're really easy to use. You can try with any of the other expansions if you feel like experimenting with them (in case you haven't used them before), or if you're certain they provide the sound you want to achieve.

Don't try to track an entire channel at once if don't know which one to start with. Instead, try tracking a small segment of your song (one or two frames should be enough), and do some sound design so you can get an idea of what it will sound like. After you've got the sound design down, start tracking the rest of the song at your own pace (you could follow up with any part like the bass, percussion, or main melody).

This is based more or less on my own tracking procedures, both for originals and covers. I've found that it works good enough in my case, but I tend to focus on sound design too much so it takes me a long time to finish a single song. For now, try following this advice, or wait and see if more people provide more help and then follow the method that suits you best.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Manatee

Postby Manatee » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:54 pm

I agree with Dr. Merio on the part about going a frame at a time, but as for order I tend to go Melody>Percussion>Bass>Harmony.
"Trust me, I'm a sirenian."

YobaHere

Postby YobaHere » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:24 am

One verse at a time.
Lead → Bass ↘
------------------Chords → Percussion
Bass → Lead ↗
My way is one of those ways. Not everytime though, today i went making percussion first, and then chords.
Last edited by YobaHere on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If anybody knows where i can download FMPSG albums please let me know.
Here is my youcloud and twitterbook. Whatever. Shitmusics.
7:07 PM Threxx said: Selamat pagi
7:07 PM dpc said: Cyka blyat
http://i.imgur.com/anqwUfw.png

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:28 am

Since I have poor ear skills, I cover which part of the song I can hear the clearest. Whether it be the bassline or the melody. Just so I can at least know what key the song is in. Any chip channel except for noise can be used for any song part depending on style.
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

ImATrackMan

Postby ImATrackMan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:52 am

Depends. Using famicompo covers as examples, my Happy Bite cover last year went Bass+percussion → chords → melody every pattern, my first entry this year went bass → percussion → accompaniment → melody → echo, and my second one is going percussion+bass → chords → accompaniment → melody.
Slowly working on a thing called "FaMIGA".
I do all hardware recordings including Sunsoft5B, FDS, and MULTICHIP !
>quscx uvngw bebxm xqdyl<

JohnLeagsdurg

Postby JohnLeagsdurg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:32 pm

How do i even split a note in two channels like in some castlevania songs?
(Sorry my grammar is bad)