Normal Famitracker or 0CC-FamiTracker?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
JohnLeagsdurg

Normal Famitracker or 0CC-FamiTracker?

Postby JohnLeagsdurg » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Hi guys, i am wondering that 0CC-FamiTracker is really looking good but the problem is i'm confused what is better.
0CC-FamiTracker has neat features like choosing multiple chips in the program and some interface edits.

However i am afraid that if i use the 0CC version i couldn't find out how to make them compatible with the normal version...
What would i choose anyway?

HertzDevil

Re: Normal Famitracker or 0CC-FamiTracker?

Postby HertzDevil » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Technically it is a fault on my side that this is not included in the readme file for this thread to appear, so I apologize in advance.

A 0CC-FamiTracker FTM will not load in the official build if any of the following criteria is met:
  • The FTM uses all expansion chips;
  • The FTM uses groove 0 in the song settings of any track;
  • The FTM uses more than 128 frames in any track;
  • The FTM uses pattern index 80 - FF in any track;
  • Any N163 instrument contains more than 16 waves;
  • Any N163 instrument uses a wave position greater than or equal to 128.
All other 0CC-FamiTracker FTMs will load in the official build, except that the following features will no longer make sense:
  • Extra data blocks not recognized by the official FamiTracker, including all grooves, detune data, and bookmarks;
  • FDS / VRC7 / 5B channels, in the case that Namco 163 is also enabled, but fewer than 8 N163 channels are used;
  • Arpeggio schemes; (FamiTracker might crash because of the graphics controls used in the instrument editor)
  • Any new effect absent as of official FamiTracker 0.4.6, including Lxx, Mxy, Txy, Oxx, N163 Zxx, FDS Exx, and FDS Zxx; (in particular, 0.5.0 reinterprets them as other new effect commands)
  • Some of the overloaded effects, including 2A03 Exx, 2A03 S80 - SFF, FDS H80 - HFF, and FDS I10 - IFF;
  • Sequence instruments used outside their respective sound channels; (VRC6 and 2A03 instruments are still interchangeable in exported NSFs, but the duty conversion will be absent)
  • Use of grooves and fixed tempo in the song settings;
  • The echo buffer notes;
  • Bit 5 of the 5B instrument noise / mode sequences, which represents envelope output;
  • Behaviour of the Sunsoft 5B chip, in any 0.5.0 beta build. (0CC-FamiTracker's 5B support builds upon official 0.4.2.)
The FamiTracker text importer refuses most of the features listed above.

In the future, 0CC-FamiTracker will be able to detect the earliest compatible version of the current FTM, as well as enforce compatibility with any designated build of FamiTracker; that probably won't come in 0.3.14 though. To be honest, however, if one prefers 0CC-FamiTracker over the official solely because of the multichip feature, more often than not they haven't been utilizing the sound channels very well.

I myself would say that multi-frame selection and channel state retrieval (and hence recalling) are the 0CC-FT features that I absolutely can no longer live without. These will significantly improve your workflow regardless of the modules you work with and your instrumentation styles.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Though 0CC has lots of extra bells and whistles that make it superior, I prefer using the official build for compatibility reasons.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:08 pm

I prefer regular FT because I don't need, nor have ever needed, any of the extra features. I hate (with a burning, emberous passion that will never die) not using all of the features in software, and I don't use any of the features of 0CC-FamiTracker.
multychip is hard guys
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

James_S

Postby James_S » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:22 pm

I use 0cc for compatibility, (0cc is almost used more often than vanilla in other places then these forums) the extra features with namco, tempo grooves and for the fact that the cursor and editing is more free and not contained to frames.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:45 pm

MiniMacro wrote:I prefer regular FT because I don't need, nor have ever needed, any of the extra features. I hate (with a burning, emberous passion that will never die) not using all of the features in software, and I don't use any of the features of 0CC-FamiTracker.
multychip is hard guys

Apply to all slots for DPCM ; ))::):))):):):):):):):):):)):):):)):)
Anyways, if I want to use multiple chips or something of the sort, 0CC-FamiTracker is my tool of choice. Otherwise, I use the official build.
born to fuck life is a die

she/her

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:12 am

MiniMacro wrote:I hate (with a burning, emberous passion that will never die) not using all of the features in software

that's funny I thought making good music was a feature of famitracker
jk jk jk sorry
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:31 am

I would use 0CC if it weren't for the fact that all my recent projects are 0.5.0 only. I also prefer using the regular 0xy effect to longer kinds of arps. (I know, it's heresy.)
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:06 am

Highway Man wrote:I also prefer using the regular 0xy effect to longer kinds of arps. (I know, it's heresy.)

I don't arp often, but when I do it's by 0xy effect because I don't want to configure an entirely new instrument just for that. Arp sequences are more powerful but there's no way to invoke them directly....

Deathro

Postby Deathro » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:36 am

Honestly, even if you don't want to get into multichips or and of the extra features in 0cc, 0cc-FamiTracker is just extremely superior. For a ridiculous number of reasons:

1) Constant updates
2) Less restrictions to simple unnecessary things like the number of frames
3) N163 with DPCM imports and instrument bits up to 128, LIKE ARE YOU KIDDING!?
4) CONSTANT UPDATES

Seroiusly, within the time that jsr has been in 0.5 beta, 0CC has had so many updates I cannot even count them. And they're updates that actually improve performance. Honestly, if you're too ignorant to at least look at 0cc you're comlpetely missing out. The only downside is that sometimes there may be bugs due to the amount of features and updates made, but nevertheless at least he's releasing updates constantly. And I'm saying this as someone who doesn't even like HertzDevil that much myself.

Really, just have both of them. FamiTracker, modded or not, is a good-ass program, but 0cc does improve its features far more than jsr would ever plan to. Just do whatever, depending on what you're aiming for.

MiniMacro wrote:I prefer regular FT because I don't need, nor have ever needed, any of the extra features.

...I am not surprised by this after seeing such low quality things you do.