Music Conversion

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Creasion

Music Conversion

Postby Creasion » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:23 pm

Can this program perform Music conversions like getting a song and turning it 8-bit?

If yes then how?

If no, then which programs can be used to perform accurate music conversions that are as close to 8-bit as possible?

ollaxe

Re: Music Conversion

Postby ollaxe » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:48 pm

You mean like import Midi-files and then they'd be converted into 8-bit? No. Although earlier versions of famitracker (0.4.2 and earlier) did have a midi import option, but then you still needed to make the instruments yourself.

This is however not the point of this program. It's made for making music, not converting already existing music into 8-bit.
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:02 pm

if you are so lazy as to want a program to convert something for you rather than put any effort into it, then you should not be attempting to make any arrangements at all

put some effort into learning how to use the program and make the arrangements yourself, you'll feel much more pride in it at the end as well

MrKyurem

Postby MrKyurem » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:06 pm

Creasion wrote:Can this program perform Music conversions like getting a song and turning it 8-bit?

If yes then how?

If no, then which programs can be used to perform accurate music conversions that are as close to 8-bit as possible?

You can't make anything worth anybody's time without putting effort into it. Learn to cover things manually.

Also, as a side note - if you're considering using GXSCC to convert Midis, as it takes about as much effort as I put in my homework, and then advertise it as 8-bit, you're fooling absolutely nobody. We all know it's not actually 8-bit, we know that a rat could've put more effort into making it, and we will call you out on it.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Hostility is not needed guys. Don't do that.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:24 pm

In short, no, FamiTracker isn't capable of importing any other file type than FTM (with the exception of NSF via rainwarrior's NSFImport build). It is, however, able to export NSF and WAV files.

Or you could do what everyone from 2009 and before used to do and use GXSCC and import MIDIs to your heart's content even though I made my own MIDI files

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:36 pm

C++, hence FamiTracker, can turn anything into valid 8-bit music if you try hard enough.

FamiTracker has no such capabilities right now, and even though it used to have a MIDI importer, it hardly worked at all. MIDI files using suitable soundfonts can often be converted into GBA chiptunes in Sappy/Midi2Agb with considerable accuracy, though it is easier if you write your own MIDI parser that generates any chiptune format you prefer, including FTM files (using either CFamiTrackerDoc or the lightweight implementation provided in Sylveon's NSF importer).

As far as accuracy goes, SuperNSF essentially allows playback of any music file on the 2A03, though almost everyone hated it, and one should not be entitled to produce 8-bit music at all if they do so for the sole purpose of rendering music in general compatible with 8-bit hardware.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Creasion

Postby Creasion » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:03 am

Ah, wanting to convert music and see how it sounds like and actually creating original 8-bit music is a concept you guys can't seem to grasp.

Later, you can lock this.

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:49 am

Creasion wrote:Ah, wanting to convert music and see how it sounds like and actually creating original 8-bit music is a concept you guys can't seem to grasp.

Later, you can lock this.

There's your problem - Famitracker is not really for "seeing how it sounds like".
Note that this is your problem, and not a matter of anyone being unable to grasp anything.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:17 am

Creasion wrote:Ah, wanting to convert music and see how it sounds like and actually creating original 8-bit music is a concept you guys can't seem to grasp.

The chiptune community would have needed to deal much less with authenticity and plagiarism weren't it for people like you who see creating 8-bit music as an outcome rather than a process. This kind of attitude is precisely why there is a lack rather than abundance of genuine 8-bit compilers/converters among developers in this community, especially one driven by open-source software; no one has responsibility to create those tools for the sake of allowing anyone to take "8-bit chiptune" at face value.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker