Version 0.5 preview

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
HertzDevil

Re: Version 0.5 preview

Postby HertzDevil » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:18 am

Since 0.4.6 (and most likely 0.4.5 as well), obtaining a non-existent instrument from the exporter interface causes FamiTracker to crash:

Code: Select all

CInstrument2A03Interface const *CFamiTrackerDocWrapper::Get2A03Instrument(int Instrument) const
{
   CInstrument *pInstrument = m_pDocument->GetInstrument(Instrument);
   pInstrument->Release(); // Prevent memory leak, no instrument will be removed during export
   return dynamic_cast<CInstrument2A03Interface const *>(pInstrument);
}
Undefined behaviour occurs if pInstrument points to nothing. Either it should be returned immediately, or CInstrumentContainer should be used if it is accessible from the wrapper component. All beta builds of 0.5.0 have this issue as well.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:33 am

Where would the non-existent instrument come from, I wonder? Is it, perhaps, a bug in the export? Or perhaps, was it created, deleted, but still remained in the text, even after the file was still created as text after a change? I find it rather strange. Hopefully this can be addressed in the official build.
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:51 am

The exporter interface has absolutely nothing to do with the text exporter as it is right now. When a DLL exporter in the /plugins/ directory retrieves an instrument from the current FTM, it must be able to do so for any instrument index, rather than use a separate method to determine whether the instrument of the given type actually exists. For instance, Gradualore's text exporter does this:

DLL_EXPORT bool Export( FamitrackerDocInterface const* doc, const char* fileName)
{
   Instrument2A03Handle ins;
   // ...
   for(i=0;i<0x40;i++)
   {
      ins=doc->Get2A03Instrument(i);

if(ins)
      {
         os<<"[Instrument"<<i<<"]"<<endl;
         // ...
If an instrument of the given index does not exist, the instrument is simply not in the current module per se.

(Gradualore's text exporter produced results similar to rainwarrior's, but it was available as an extra format item on the NSF export dialog, and therefore had no text import capabilities, although if jsr decides to maintain the current interfaces and wrappers, it might be possible to write importer plugins too without having to compile them within the tracker build.)

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:48 am

Oh. Then how the hell does this happen? Surely there's a coding boo-boo somewhere.
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

TheMudkipMaster12

Postby TheMudkipMaster12 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:54 pm

So I removed all of the unused instruments and I hit play and then FT crashed. I tried it again to see if I could replicate it, but it worked normally the 2nd time. Not much I can say :? , but it did create a .dmp file. Also, my module used a custom engine speed.
Attachments
MiniDump_20151213-1336-v0_5_0_b5.dmp
(32.81 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
"It's funny because cool, means cold." -Savestate, Feb. 17, 2016

HI IM KIPPTUNE AND THIS IS MY OLD ACCOUNT LOL

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Consider the following:

# : Pulse 1
ROW 00 : C-3 01 . F04
ROW 01 : ... 00 . ...
ROW 02 : D-3 .. . ...
Volume sequence 0 is { | 7 3 }. Instrument 00 is blank, and the volume sequence index is 0; instrument 01 uses volume sequence 0. There are different behaviours of loading blank instrument sequences, depending on the volume output of this pattern:
  1. 7 3 7 3 3 3 3 3 15 15 15 15; on row 01, the blank instrument with no note stops the instrument from setting new instrument volume values, and then on row 02 the instrument volume is reset to its default value. This is probably the correct behaviour.
  2. 7 3 7 3 7 3 7 3 15 15 15 15; the blank instrument on row 01 does not stop the volume sequence, but on row 02 the note does that.
  3. 7 3 7 3 7 3 7 3 3 3 3 3; the note on row 02 does not stop the volume sequence even though the instrument should be triggered. This is certainly an incorrect behaviour; see this FTM for an example.
All exported NSFs exhibit behaviour 1. FamiTracker 0.5.0 beta 2 or before exhibit behaviour 2, however if instrument 00's volume sequence index is not 0, even though it is disabled, then behaviour 1 is shown. Version 0.5.0 beta 3 and onward display behaviour 3; moreover if instrument 00 points to a different volume sequence without using it, the volume output will be 7 3 7 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3.

All these suggest that, since 0.5.0 beta 3, if a blank sequence is loaded before a new note is triggered, the new note will not reset the instrument to some default value. For volume this is 0x0F (0x1F on FDS), and for duty cycle this is the Vxx value (except perhaps N163 under some circumstances). Arpeggio sequences and pitch sequences are unaffected since FamiTracker calls CChannelHandler::SetNote(int) and CChannelHandler::SetPeriod(int) on new notes even without instruments.

Behaviour 2 can be fixed by adding a simple check to ensure that disabled sequence types do not affect sequence loading:

bool CChannelHandler2A03::HandleInstrument(int Instrument, bool Trigger, bool NewInstrument)
{
   // ...
   for (int i = 0; i < CInstrument2A03::SEQUENCE_COUNT; ++i) {
      const CSequence *pSequence = pDocument->GetSequence(SNDCHIP_NONE, pInstrument->GetSeqIndex(i), i);
      int Enable = pInstrument->GetSeqEnable(i);
      if (!Enable)             // put this before the other conditional clause
         ClearSequence(i);
      else if (Trigger || !IsSequenceEqual(i, pSequence) || Enable > GetSequenceState(i)) {
         SetupSequence(i, pSequence);
      }
   }
   // ...
   // the same applies for all channels using sequence instruments

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:12 pm

The Qxx effect (and presumably the Rxx effect too) is (are) really glitchy. Listen to this a few times and you'll see that it's all over the place.

Edit: I forgot to mention, this only happens when using the sunsoft 5B chip. Sorry!
Attachments
un tasche.ftm
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Last edited by ollaxe on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:22 pm

When using the 5B ENV at a slow setting on one channel, the .nsf export has the ENV be retriggered whenever notes are played on the other 5B channels. Works properly in-tracker, though.
Attachments
5benv_retrig_bug.ftm
(701 Bytes) Downloaded 59 times
5benv_retrig_bug.nsf
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

recme

Postby recme » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:41 am

i have some suggestions. can the insert button (ins) on famitracker be customized? pressing fn + prt sc can get oh so annoying at times.

also, can buffer length be a little more precise? it always has to be either on 52, 57, 62, etc.. is there any reason why its like this?

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:04 am

recme wrote:i have some suggestions. can the insert button (ins) on famitracker be customized? pressing fn + prt sc can get oh so annoying at times.

You have one of those laptops too?

Return to “General Talk”