Version 0.5 preview

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Dr. Merio

Re: Version 0.5 preview

Postby Dr. Merio » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Thank you! I'll be testing this version with a few modules where I noticed the synchronization problem.

By the way, why was the frame editor's font changed? Would it be possible to make it customizable too?
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:51 pm

Upon displaying the Module Properties window, the cursor is immediately placed in [2A03] Pulse 1, Frame 0x00, Row 0x00. I am unsure as to whether or not this is intended behaviour.
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:18 am

PostApocolyptica wrote:Upon displaying the Module Properties window, the cursor is immediately placed in [2A03] Pulse 1, Frame 0x00, Row 0x00. I am unsure as to whether or not this is intended behaviour.

It didn't do that in 0.4.6, so I'd call it a bug. However, I could see it being intentional if clicking on a song from Module Properties changes which one gets displayed in the UI, but 0.4.6 didn't do that either, so ... dunno.

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

HertzDevil wrote:I do not know if this is the delay bug, but I noticed a few things while using the 5B:
  • The three 5B channels often desynchronize, so that notes on the same tick are no longer played simultaneously;
  • Upon initializing the 5B sound output, the first few ticks are inaudible;
  • The 5B has a fixed refresh rate of 60 Hz, so that a 0C0 arpeggio completely breaks down at high refresh rates such as 119 Hz (1-second arpeggio) or 120 Hz (no arpeggio at all). (The VRC7 also has this issue, so I believe this might actually be the delay bug.)
Honestly speaking, with both NEZPlug++, NSFPlay, and multiple other players being actively maintained, I don't understand why FamiTracker still uses sound libraries for VRC7 and 5B that have not been updated since 2004.

It's quite odd to see jsr bluntly ignoring HertzDevil's important findings is not very cool.
I mean, have you considered HertzDevil's hard work for once? I mean, he wanted the newest NSF Driver and didnt want to wait for so long, so he spent a few hours reverse enginnering the NSF Driver by himself.
I know you hate HertzDevil jsr, but maybe you should consider forgiving him and start anew and listen to what he finds, it may improve Vanilla FamiTracker much more.
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:08 pm

Dr. Merio wrote:By the way, why was the frame editor's font changed? Would it be possible to make it customizable too?

There has been a couple of GUI related changes, all of them was to make the application more compatible with high DPI modes. The font in particular was changed because the other one didn't scale well. I can make it customizable if you wish.

PostApocolyptica wrote:Upon displaying the Module Properties window, the cursor is immediately placed in [2A03] Pulse 1, Frame 0x00, Row 0x00. I am unsure as to whether or not this is intended behaviour.

That's because the pattern editor now will switch to the selected song in the song list. Opening the window will select the currently selected song (which moves the cursor back to the top), that should be easy to prevent if you find it annoying.

8BitZtunerYT: I don't mind forgiving people but that's on the condition that some kind of improvement can be expected (this is completely off-topic in this thread however). I can assure you that I don't ignore stuff I find of value though.
Famitracker developer

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:15 pm

jsr wrote:There has been a couple of GUI related changes, all of them was to make the application more compatible with high DPI modes. The font in particular was changed because the other one didn't scale well. I can make it customizable if you wish.

I personally preferred the old font, and making it customizable would be nice too, but I completely understand why it was changed. If it's for compatibility reasons, then it's more than welcome.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

TheMudkipMaster12

Postby TheMudkipMaster12 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:06 am

Trying to use the edit function for DPCM samples crashes FamiTracker. I added the .dmp if you need it even though the crash is easy to do.
Attachments
MiniDump_20150701-0107-v0_5_0_b4.dmp
(36.68 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
"It's funny because cool, means cold." -Savestate, Feb. 17, 2016

HI IM KIPPTUNE AND THIS IS MY OLD ACCOUNT LOL

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:13 pm

The NSF DatAdam - 700 Main St 0.5 Beta fails to compile correctly, the notes have switched places in the 2A03, the 5B is unaffected, the FTM sounds fine.
The StarTropics Cover I did (attached) sounds fine in both NSF and FTM.
Did I screw up something or is it really some kind of weird bug?
Attachments
StarTropics FT 0.4.6 slash 0.5 Beta.nsf
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
StarTropics FT 0.4.6 slash 0.5 Beta.ftm
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
DatAdam - 700 Main St 0.5 Beta.nsf
(11.03 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
DatAdam - 700 Main St 0.5 Beta.ftm
(12.1 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Found this in exported NSFs: Since 0.5.0 beta 3, FamiTracker writes the 1-channel N163 frequency table to the NSF when the 5B is present, so the 2A03 channels look up the frequency values from that table, rather than period values. This is an issue from the tracker side (not from the NSF driver side); either paste the 5B's period table to where the 2A03 expects its table (in the glitched NSF above, from $209F-$215E to $1F1F-$1FDE), or use beta 1 / 2 while exporting from 5B FTMs.

Note that the 2A03 and 5B period tables are identical, so a separate table should not be required in the NSF driver in the same way MMC5 and VRC6 pulses do not.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:59 pm

I assume Hertz' report above describes what's causing this problem, and that it's the same problem as 8BitZtunerYT's: The 2A03 triangle+pulse pitches are broken on .nsf export... only when the 5B is enabled as an expansion.
Attachments
5bexporttest.nsf
After
(6.85 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
5bexporttest.ftm
Before
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 71 times