Version 0.5 preview

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
jsr
Site Admin

Re: Version 0.5 preview

Postby jsr » Sat May 23, 2015 6:35 pm

I found a 5B export issue, the file has been updated.

Shywolf wrote:Since each channel is expandable with up to four effect rows, perhaps allowing the active effects display to show up to at least four effects would be appropriate? Here you can see the "Portamento" text is cut off by the bottom of the window.

I can expand the area with one other row.

Alexander283 wrote:All of my yes!!
5B Support is great (finally more than one noise channel), the active effects really help fixing stuck effects on loops or forgotten detunes.
Full 64 Saw volume is a nice touch and the automatic Namco wave is just glorious.

Thank you very much for this :D

Thank you!

jrlepage wrote:Some issues with active effects display:

1. VRC7 volume is inverted in the active effects display (15 in the tracker is shown as 0, 14 in the tracker is shown as 1, etc.).
  2. Gxx is erroneously shown as being 1 value below actual value (G01 is shown as "Row delay: 0"). This might be confusing.
  3. FDS effects Hxx, Ixx and Jxx don't show up.
  4. 2A03 effects Hxy and Ixy don't show up.
  5. Effect Sxx is inconsistently displayed (sometimes it's the value of xx, sometimes one less).
  6. Qxy and Rxy are inverted for N163 (Qxy is displayed as "slide down", Rxy as "slide up").

This is what I've been able to spot so far. Some of these might be intentional..?

Yeah some effects are still missing, I'll add the remaining ones.
Famitracker developer

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Sat May 23, 2015 7:15 pm

I like this build already!
Not only because of the new tuning option and the 5B support.
Anyway, I remembered the "VU Meter should display the actual Volume and not slowly drop to the current volume" request.
I don't remember if you approved it or not, but will it appear in the next beta (or perhaps the stable) release?
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat May 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Really loving the new features. It's also very neat to finally have a selector for relative and absolute pitch. Maybe the same could be added to the hi-pitch sequences? I'm also really happy that FT finally has 5B support, which I wanted to try out since a long time ago.

I have a few minor things to point out:

- There appears to be a problem when playing modules, where certain channels play before the other ones. I'm currently not sure how this works exactly, but I have attached a module where the problem is present (oddly enough, this doesn't happen in 0.4.6). You can notice the 2A03 pulse 2 channel (I think?) playing before the VRC6 ones.

- Ctrl+P doesn't seem to be working when trying to open the module properties.

- [Extreme nitpicking alert] There's a very minor typo in the status bar when you hover the "Display average BPM" option in the tracker menu: "Display average BPM value instead if instant BPM value". If should say "of". As I said before, this is extreme nitpicking, but I thought I'd point it out anyway. :P

I'm looking forward to the stable release. Thanks for all your hard work on this!
Attachments
example.ftm
(10.43 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

jsr
Site Admin

Postby jsr » Sat May 23, 2015 7:47 pm

8BitZtunerYT wrote:Anyway, I remembered the "VU Meter should display the actual Volume and not slowly drop to the current volume" request.
I don't remember if you approved it or not, but will it appear in the next beta (or perhaps the stable) release?

It was approved. Right click the channel header and select fast meter decay rate, now it will display instant volumes instead.

Dr. Merio wrote:Really loving the new features. It's also very neat to finally have a selector for relative and absolute pitch. Maybe the same could be added to the hi-pitch sequences? I'm also really happy that FT finally has 5B support, which I wanted to try out since a long time ago.

Thank you! I've wanted to remove and combine that with the ordinary pitch macro for a very long time, but hasn't been done so far. (Initially in the very first versions there was a few other instrument settings as well that was removed, this one should have been remove too.)

Dr. Merio wrote:I have a few minor things to point out:

- There appears to be a problem when playing modules, where certain channels play before the other ones. I'm currently not sure how this works exactly, but I have attached a module where the problem is present (oddly enough, this doesn't happen in 0.4.6). You can notice the 2A03 pulse 2 channel (I think?) playing before the VRC6 ones.

- Ctrl+P doesn't seem to be working when trying to open the module properties.

- [Extreme nitpicking alert] There's a very minor typo in the status bar when you hover the "Display average BPM" option in the tracker menu: "Display average BPM value instead if instant BPM value". If should say "of". As I said before, this is extreme nitpicking, but I thought I'd point it out anyway. :P

I'm looking forward to the stable release. Thanks for all your hard work on this!

I'll check these issues too.
Famitracker developer

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sat May 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Suggestion: for 64-step volume sequences, they should be naturally right-shifted twice if not used on the sawtooth channel since volume mixing above 0x0F can break the volume lookup table in exported NSFs. Another alternative is to right shift once, and then use the same multiplication routine as the FDS channel handler.

EDIT: By the way, the current AY-3-8910 sound driver is inaccurate, as shown by the attached FTM and this FLAC hardware recording (which I told IaTM to do a few weeks ago). You should replace that library with the latest source code from NEZplug++.

EDIT2: When playing the current row, sometimes the effect state does not update; during playing the effect state updates only once per row unless the pattern editor receives a message to redraw the screen (such as when creating a selection).

EDIT3: The screen does not refresh after right-clicking on the pattern: Image
Attachments
5btest.ftm
(849 Bytes) Downloaded 94 times
Last edited by HertzDevil on Sun May 24, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

MovieMovies1

Postby MovieMovies1 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:56 pm

I made an FTM to test out 5B functionality in FT. I for some reason let it loop for a while, and when it came to around 02:40, it started behaving really oddly, like the square/noise data was pushed a frame ahead of where it should be. Then, at 02:55, it stopped.

I attached said FTM below.
Attachments
5B_ISSUE.ftm
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Glitch_King

Postby Glitch_King » Sun May 24, 2015 4:19 am

If I could make a request to the interface:

-If the pattern editor could be resizible like in Hertzdevil's 0ccFT

(0ccFT on the left and FT 0.5 on the right)

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (121.89 KiB) Viewed 4698 times

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sun May 24, 2015 6:01 am

Another minor thing I just found is that the volume meter isn't working for the 5B and VRC7 channels when set to fast mode. If you set it to slow, it works properly.

Also is it normal for the 5B channels to produce a loud pop when a note cut is played in the patterns? It only happens when the volume is too high so I guess that justifies it.

EDIT: Related to what I said in my previous post, apparently the delayed playing is preventing effects from playing on the first row. So far I've only seen this happening on the VRC6 but it might be happening to other chip combinations too. I recall this problem happening with a previous version too but I'm not sure which one.

Dr. Merio wrote:There appears to be a problem when playing modules, where certain channels play before the other ones. I'm currently not sure how this works exactly, but I have attached a module where the problem is present (oddly enough, this doesn't happen in 0.4.6). You can notice the 2A03 pulse 2 channel (I think?) playing before the VRC6 ones.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Sun May 24, 2015 11:35 am

The beta fails to display DPCM samples that do not assume a natural order. For example, given these DPCM sample indices:
The beta does not display the sizes for the last three samples because a sample of index 4 cannot be found:
Double-clicking those samples below will preview sample 0 instead. (They work properly when previewed from the sample assignment table and in the pattern editor.) In the event that sample 0 does not exist, the tracker crashes.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sun May 24, 2015 11:39 am

Awesome!

I noticed something wierd with the VRC6 64 step volume on the sawtooth channel. It sounds kinda glitchy. I'll attach this ftm to show you.
Attachments
sawtooth plop.ftm
(659 Bytes) Downloaded 97 times
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Return to “General Talk”