8Tones - the mobile chiptune maker

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
supernovamfgg

8Tones - the mobile chiptune maker

Postby supernovamfgg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:19 pm

If any of y'all heard of a chiptune maker I was making last year (url: http://www.famitracker.com/forum/posts.php?id=6950). I have updated the app itself and published the iOS version.

Android Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ones&hl=en
Android Amazon App Store: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/dl/android ... eighttones

iOS App Store: https://appsto.re/us/O0ojbb.i

I am thinking about adding more features. But since it was made with Game Maker Studio it do have a lot of limitations. However I am thinking about export and convert the project itself as ftm and/or nsf but sadly I have no knowledge of how to write an ftm/nsf file.

EDIT 3/24/2016: Here is a PC version if you want to try it out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwh5eongnetzl ... t.zip?dl=0

Good news is that the PC version now has the capabilities to export your current project as text file that's compatible with Famitracker. While in the editor mode, press [T] on your keyboard to export the current project. And once it's done exporting the text file you can import that to Famitracker (has to be the latest version 0.4.6).

EDIT 3/25/2016: I have updated the Android version (Google Play) where you can export your project as text files as well! Amazon App Store version will be updated very soon!
Last edited by supernovamfgg on Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jir-0

Re: 8Tones - the mobile chiptune maker

Postby Jir-0 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:37 am

B-but.. I thought you said you were not going to update it any longer unless it has a lot of downloads and feedback! I'm glad this is updated now! I've been playing around with this mobile tracker last year and I loved it!
Check out my links!
SoundCloud
YouTube
Dropbox

supernovamfgg

Postby supernovamfgg » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:41 am

Yes I mentioned that. But since I have tons of downloads I decided to resume the support.

I have almost 7000 users installed my app: http://imgur.com/Ps6gRsc

What I am interested is how to write the current project as NSF and/or FTM file since the engine I am using is capable writing a raw text file. If anyone have the knowledge and able to help me learn how to do that, that would be very appreciated.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:20 am

Is the Windows version still available?

The fastest way would be writing a FamiTracker-compatible text file which could be imported back into FamiTracker. The manual comes with a page describing all text macro commands.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

supernovamfgg

Postby supernovamfgg » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:28 am

Windows Phone version? Yes but since the major update of Windows 10 universal store I have more hard times uploading it to the store. But I'll figure something out.

And if you're asking for the PC version, I am thinking about making one soon.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:39 am

By the way, would you mind uploading the looped samples? It seems most of them on octave 3 or above do not loop perfectly, so far example the 25% pulse C-4 contains a C#3, and the 25% pulse C-5 contains a D-4, but I do not know if this is a limitation in whatever sound library you use or just the samples are not seamless.

supernovamfgg

Postby supernovamfgg » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:15 am

Here are the samples from the attachment, I have ripped them directly from Famitracker (saved as .wav file and edited using Audacity). I have looped these samples in Audacity and they seems fine. But I do know the fact that Game Maker: Studio isn't that good looping short samples. I am considering making longer samples so they can loop seamlessly.
Attachments
8tonesamples.zip
(36.4 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:44 am

Yes, the samples are inconsistent; for example, for the C-5 samples,
  • snd_C5_125.wav has 168 ÷ 4 = 42 samples per oscillation;
  • snd_C5_25.wav has 85 ÷ 2 = 42.5 samples per oscillation;
  • snd_C5.wav has 344 ÷ 8 = 43 samples per oscillation;
  • snd_C5_t.wav has 338 ÷ 4 = 84.5 samples per oscillation.
This leads to a number of problems:
  • Notes in different waveforms and octaves become out of tune to each other;
  • Since these samples are ripped from FamiTracker then truncated, any non-integer samples per oscillation count results in an undertone as if the whole wave is a single oscillation;
  • Game Maker samples might work better if their lengths are exact milliseconds (easier at 48 kHz sample rate), though I have not verified that.
Using Game Maker's buffers to synthesize sound streams might be a pain more than it is worth, so longer samples should suffice.

supernovamfgg

Postby supernovamfgg » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Yes that would be rather difficult to accomplish by generating raw wave files. However I have been messing around with my own source and went through carefully on text export from Famitracker, I have managed to make my app to export Famitracker importable (MMC5) text files!

Here is a PC version if you want to try it out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwh5eongnetzl ... t.zip?dl=0

While in the PC editor mode, press [T] to export the current project. And once it's done exporting the text file you can import that to Famitracker (has to be the latest version 0.4.6)

I have tested 4 songs and so far it's working fine. But please let me know if you've encountered any issue(s).

Edit: to be honest, I personally don't know how to create a buffer in Game Maker. Maybe some helps would be really appreciated!

MC Jimmy

Postby MC Jimmy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:46 am

It would be really rad if you made it where you can import the files into 8tones as well so you can flip flop working on the computer and your phone.

Return to “General Talk”