[Competition] FamiTracker Tournament I – Phase #0

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
jrlepage
Forum Staff

[Competition] FamiTracker Tournament I – Phase #0

Postby jrlepage » Wed May 27, 2015 11:27 pm

As promised, here is the new thread with further information about the new competition!

For this series I thought I'd experiment with something a bit different: a competition in the form of a single-elimination tournament. The contest will take place over a series of phases as described below:

PHASE #0 – Preparation
This is the current phase. Everyone who wishes to enter the tournament must send me a PM with the following three things:

1. At least two 2A03 instruments (no DPCM please)
  2. At least two instruments for an expansion chip of their choosing (including the 5B). They can be designed for the same expansion chip or different ones.
  3. A theme, idea or restriction
The deadline for submitting these is June 3, 23:59:59 ET, after which an individual will be no longer admissible to enter the tournament.

PHASE #1 – Qualifying
The first phase following the preparation phase will pit every potential entrant against each other in a qualifier round. I will provide a simple theme and ask each entrant to provide a single, short FTM written around that theme. Entrants must send their entries to me via PM within five days. I will then post the entries, and start the voting phase, which will last three days. All forum members can vote. Votes are cast by selecting your three favourite entries from the pack, listing them in order. First choice is awarded 3 points, second choice gets 2, and third choice gets 1. I will then tally the votes, and the 16 best-scoring entries will be awarded a spot in the tournament.

In the event that I do not get more than 16 entries, position after the qualifying round will determine who gets to skip round 1 of the tournament.

PHASE #2 – The Tournament
After qualifying is over, we move on to the actual tournament. This works more or less like the qualifying round, except this time I will incorporate the elements I received during the preparation phase. Participants will be grouped into pairs, and each pair will be assigned a theme/restriction as well as an expansion chip they will have to stick with. They will also receive an instrument pack that they have to use This time, participants have seven days to submit their entry to me via PM, after which the voting phase will begin. Voting lasts three days (and, again, everyone can vote, not just entrants). Then the tournament moves on to the next round!

That's pretty much it. Modules have to composed using an official build of FamiTracker (betas included), so no 0CC-Famitracker modules I'm afraid. Also, only modifications allowed within the program are allowed (no hex-editing to allow otherwise impossible engine speeds, for example).

If you have any questions regarding the event, please ask them in the thread and I will do my best to answer them! I will be accepting theme and instrument submissions as of right now, and again, you have until June 3, 23:59:59 ET to submit your themes and instruments to me via forum PM.

I hope this will be a fun experience for all! Looking forward to your theme ideas and instruments!
Follow me on Twitter.

Threxx

Re: [Competition] FamiTracker Tournament I – Phase #0

Postby Threxx » Thu May 28, 2015 12:02 am

What does "an idea" constitute? This could mean anything from a chord progression to a started draft in Famitracker.

Ignore this, I was unclear about the meaning of the post. So we are submitting instruments for the entrants to use.

...This will prove to be interesting, at the very least.

Just saw the reply. Alright then.
Last edited by Threxx on Thu May 28, 2015 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Thu May 28, 2015 12:07 am

Chord progression fits in there for sure. I won't be accepting started drafts though.

But yeah, you're on the right track. Basically, I used "idea" as a blanket term that includes anything that constitutes something around which one could write a piece of music without being a "theme" per se. I don't want to give precise examples because I want to avoid influencing people's imaginations. :)
Follow me on Twitter.

Zaalan3

Postby Zaalan3 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:43 am

Wow, a proper tournament! This is very interesting

James_S

Postby James_S » Thu May 28, 2015 2:01 am

Wow, this is an interesting idea
Being really new I'm going to just spectate this one, but watch the results.
Could we start a FTForum bandcamp and release the results like BoTB does?
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

w7n

Postby w7n » Thu May 28, 2015 3:20 am

I'm not good at composing original tracks so I'll just watch it goes on.
nsf.nesbbs.com under reconstruction, better player might be available in the future.

VRC6 PWM is GAY because it has colours of the rainbow in the NSFPlay keyboard visualizer.

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Thu May 28, 2015 8:11 am

I'll try to give this a shot.
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

TheMudkipMaster12

Postby TheMudkipMaster12 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:14 pm

I entered. I can't wait for it to start!
"It's funny because cool, means cold." -Savestate, Feb. 17, 2016

HI IM KIPPTUNE AND THIS IS MY OLD ACCOUNT LOL

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Thu May 28, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm not really sure if I'll enter this. Is there any chance that someone will be assigned plain 2A03 with no expansions? Also I'm guessing that DPCM is disallowed.

What happens if an entrant doesn't use all the instruments provided in the pack? Will blank instruments be provided too?
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Thu May 28, 2015 7:36 pm

As of 0.5 you can now achieve blank instrument by always using note slur (provided the channel hasn't used an instrument prior). There are now modules with NO instruments

*disclaimer: does not work with DPCM, you still need an instrument in the list to assign samples to notes, but in the pattern you can still only use &&
Attachments
beatbox2 no inst.ftm
(922 Bytes) Downloaded 77 times
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Return to “General Talk”