Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project (VOTE for the person who will be in charge!)

General discussion about tracking, help and support.

Who should be in charge of the Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:36 pm

recme
69%
Scooblee
23%
Amilgi
8%

Total votes: 13

recme

Re: Idea: Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project

Postby recme » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:34 pm

im up for it. i've done a spriting project before, so being in charge isnt anything new for me. does the leader get to pick the game, or do you, jrlepage, get to pick it?

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:37 pm

Everything you need to know is right there in the OP.
Follow me on Twitter.

recme

Postby recme » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:14 am

alright, i understand what is going to be done. in that case, im 100% sure that id volunteer for being in charge.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:56 am

I'd be glad to put you in charge right away, but in the interest of fairness, I'll leave until June 3, 23:59 ET (same time as the tournament deadline) for other people to signal their interest.
Follow me on Twitter.

Scooblee

Postby Scooblee » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:17 am

I've looked back over the original post regarding the being in charge part, and I'm interested in it. Sounds like fun, actually.
Just another guy who does the chiptunes.
Links to my stuff: YouTube | Soundcloud | Twitter

Amilgi

Postby Amilgi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:56 pm

This sounds like a great project - I look forward to making covers for this. I'd be cool with heading it up but only if there's no one better fitting. I know I may have some conflict of interest if it continues into the college semester (~late August).
My suggestions:
- Definitely have some pre-defined instruments/samples (A blank, DPCM samples & inst#, noise drums, {12 0} bass come to mind). Keep instruments to a minimum (use fx more often). Use instruments primarily when they are "needed" (slower arps, Fast volume/duty changes, although both can be avoided via speed 1). Prompt new submissions to pay close attention to existing instruments.
- Require proper/reasonable instrument names ("Backing Choir Pad" or "PWM Guitar" > "New instrument" or "arp")
- Choose a soundtrack that has some level of help (note viewer(like nsfplay)/midi/sheet music) available so people who have trouble doing things by ear can contribute more easily
- Definitely have time limits or require updates on submissions. I've been part of/seen too many community projects fail because of this
- Perhaps decide how much leeway people have with covers? I know for some cover = full remix with added composition, where others see cover = faithful recreation.

Also, how is the chip chosen? Is it part of the submission? Because imo "simpler" is better (2A03/MMC5 maybe VRC6), as it's more understandable and keeps instrument count down. This would also significantly effect whether the project is overall a demake or expansion upon the original.

FamicomForever wrote:F-Zero has an awesome OST, but is overdone and has little tracks

I did the whole F-Zero SNES OST on VRC 6 a while back: (It could definitely be done better though)
Attachments
F-Zero (Full OST) [VRC 6].ftm
(173.6 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
View my work here: Dropbox

YobaHere

Postby YobaHere » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:09 pm

I remember a project about covering Sonic OST, it went incredibly good. Here is mine thoughts about this idea.
About voting. What if those who attend to CVOSTCP won't do covers of community-selected OST?
Instrument pack will be needed if drums/samples/instruments are same through OST. It's more like a part of whole project, not a step.
Dividing the task is something hard in this kind of a project. Maybe it's good to make some reservation levels. Or even some sort of contest where everyone can submit covers of same song and then community will select one for the project. Of cource all covers needed to release a project.
If project will use constant chip, putting everything together should be done like in Sonic OST covering project, within one module through whole thread, because of instruments. Or it can be done other way if community will decide to make covers with different chips, as it was said, project should be released as an archive of FTM files.
Sorry, my grammar is bad.
If anybody knows where i can download FMPSG albums please let me know.
Here is my youcloud and twitterbook. Whatever. Shitmusics.
7:07 PM Threxx said: Selamat pagi
7:07 PM dpc said: Cyka blyat
http://i.imgur.com/anqwUfw.png

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, but I think I'll stick with my own idea of how to manage this project. :)

Alright, so as it stands, we have three volunteers for managing the project. I'll start a poll so everyone can decide who it should be. Each one of you can write a short post of why you think you'd be the best suited person for handling things. Let the elections begin! I'll close the poll in a week (on June 11) and then we can move on to voting on the soundtrack.
Follow me on Twitter.

recme

Re: Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project (VOTE for the person who will be in charge!)

Postby recme » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:15 pm

alright, ill begin.

i think i am well suited for the management of this project because of past experiences. while not related to music, i've organized a spriting project for the vg-resource forums back in 2013. although i never got around to finishing it, it was a good learning experience and gives me a great idea on how to lead a project. i've also been credited on another project that wasnt my own. i've been working on my own Cave Story soundtrack that i started since 2013. that project isnt dead, by the way. im still redoing songs in the OST to make them as accurate as possible to the original songs.

although im pretty young, dont let my age fool you. i'll be a great leader if you give me a go. :)

Wally

Re: Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project (VOTE for the person who will be in charge!)

Postby Wally » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:03 pm

Just wanna say that this project is a great idea!

Return to “General Talk”