Perfect Pitch?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Bramble

Perfect Pitch?

Postby Bramble » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:13 am

So kinda weird question but I was thinking about it again recently. What exactly is it that constitutes as perfect pitch? From what I grasp it's like, you can name a note off sound alone perfectly, but then I see people reference it in terms of like, being able to cover stuff by ear but perhaps it's all one and the same? I only ask cause while I cover by ear pretty well I don't really think I have perfect pitch since I can't name notes perfectly every time they are played, if that makes sense. I've heard of absolute pitch too, but is that just like a weaker perfect pitch? I'm sure someone around here knows something about all this, and I would greatly appreciate the knowledge! Thanks!

EDIT: Thinking about it I've always had this thing like, I can always tell a song is in a different key than normal (like with anime openings or something on Youtube for copyright stuff) and it always has bothered me a lot when things aren't in the right key. I've never had a name for it, but I've noticed that I've had whatever that is for years now. Perhaps related?
The name's Bramble, nice to meet you!
YouTube and SoundCloud!

Sky Yoshi

Re: Perfect Pitch?

Postby Sky Yoshi » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:15 am

Simular to this huh?
IDK the answer sorry
I'm Sky Yoshi and I'm a Japanese Tracker.
I am back from 5 months of absent!
Check out my Links to see what I do!
Do you wanna be pointless? Click here!

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:38 pm

I know what that's like. Me, I can generally identify what key a song is in but only in terms of tones (i.e., base note, third, fifth, octave). Once I know that I can produce the entire scale for whatever key that is, but I'm hopeless at remembering exactly what note is what (i.e. I couldn't tell you if a given note was an F or B). On the bright side, I can mentally play just about any song I know transposed to any key.

TheMudkipMaster12

Postby TheMudkipMaster12 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:30 pm

"It's funny because cool, means cold." -Savestate, Feb. 17, 2016

HI IM KIPPTUNE AND THIS IS MY OLD ACCOUNT LOL