how do you turn an .ftm into multichip?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
recme

how do you turn an .ftm into multichip?

Postby recme » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:07 pm

i've seen multiple people attempt it on the old forums and here, and i've been curious as to how you can achieve more than one expansion chip? i'm trying to recreate a song i'm playing in band and there are many supporting parts, so i want to add those parts in.

Dr. Merio

Re: how do you turn an .ftm into multichip?

Postby Dr. Merio » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:41 pm

You can achieve such thing using the text import feature to change the selected expansions (via the Expansion setting). Also, nicetas_c posted this on the old forums.

It's important to note the following: Multi-expansion modules are not officially supported in FamiTracker. This means that until it gets official support, you shouldn't report any bugs that are caused when using this. There's no problems with making tracks and posting them to the forums though.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

recme

Postby recme » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Dr. Merio wrote:It's important to note the following: Multi-expansion modules are not officially supported in FamiTracker.

i was fully aware of this. if famitracker is trying to mimic the nes's sound capabilities, then its obvious that multi-expansion modules would not be supported.

thanks for the help!

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Dr. Merio wrote:You can achieve such thing using the text import feature to change the selected expansions (via the Expansion setting). Also, nicetas_c posted this on the old forums.

It's important to note the following: Multi-expansion modules are not officially supported in FamiTracker. This means that until it gets official support, you shouldn't report any bugs that are caused when using this. There's no problems with making tracks and posting them to the forums though.

>not supported
>explains how to do it on a support forum

recme wrote:if famitracker is trying to mimic the nes's sound capabilities, then its obvious that multi-expansion modules would not be supported.

To the best of my recollection, it has been announced that multi-chip will be officially implemented some time after all expansions are added to the program. That would make FamiTracker not technically faithful to the hardware, but to the NSF spec. Besides, there exist hardware players which allow certain multi-chip combinations (sadly I do not own one of those).
Follow me on Twitter.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:39 pm

jrlepage wrote:>not supported
>explains how to do it on a support forum

I expected such a reply. I don't really see what's the point in keeping this hidden from the general public since it's something that is possible to enable and it doesn't harm in any way. People have been using it for a long time now too, and so far, few people have tried getting support for it (and subsequently failed).

If it must remain hidden, then we might as well remove every trace of its existence until it gets official support, but at this point that's not possible.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:48 pm

So far 0CC-FamiTracker's multi-chip NSF export does not have bugs that do not remain in the NSFs' single-chip counterparts, and at least one NSF exists that hacks the official FamiTracker's NSF driver to allow multiple expansion chips. In that case I don't know what "few people have tried getting support for it (and subsequently failed)" is supposed to mean.

In fact, a few multi-chip FTMs on this site cannot be immediately exported to functioning NSFs simply because they have been saved in 0.5.0 beta (although there are workarounds by exporting as text and then importing that back into 0CC-FT).
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

Return to “General Talk”