Difficulty with Replicating Music

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
morphmoth

Difficulty with Replicating Music

Postby morphmoth » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:36 pm

Recently, I've stumbled across FamiTracker, and it has been a very enjoyable software to use. I'm having difficulty with one thing though, and that is replicating music / figuring out the specific melody of a song. I've attempted many times to improve this skill, but the results always end in a fragment of a song. Here is an example of what I'm talking about ~

Mega Man X3 : Tunnel Rhino
C C C G# A# C C C G# A# C C C | C G# A# G C G# A# G C G# A# G |

If any of you have any background knowledge / assistance on this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Chippybippers

Re: Difficulty with Replicating Music

Postby Chippybippers » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:02 am

From my experience you just get better at it the more you do it. You'll grow more familiar with the layout of the music scale, which ones have sharps and which don't, and I'm sure eventually it'll get to the point where you can listen to a tone and say, "Ah! That's a G."
Practice makes perfect, and that especially applies here. And a word of advice; stick with cover songs until you feel you're proficient enough at transcribing tones to notes, THEN perhaps try some original stuff. You would not believe how many times I've forgotten a melody because I took too long figuring out what the individual notes were.

Teuthida

Re: Difficulty with Replicating Music

Postby Teuthida » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:26 pm

What I like to do when covering is take advantage of Famitracker's keyboard preview function. Play the notes you think they are and the real song at the same time. If they're right, you won't hear any dissonance.

EDIT: this might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZUBYhMu0B8
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg