I have no knowledge of music

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
9Lives

I have no knowledge of music

Postby 9Lives » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:40 pm

To start off, I have no knowledge of music. and I have been wanting to use FT to make my own music.
do I need to know the basics of music to use FT or if I can jump right to making music?

oh and FYI I have OCD when it comes to organization.

arethere

Re: I have no knowledge of music

Postby arethere » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:11 pm

I'm not sure what the question is
making chiptune music/music in famitracker is not fundamentally different than making music in other styles

technically you don't have to know anything about music or music theory to create your own, all you need to do is place notes and there you go
unless you are a mad genius it will sound nothing like the music you enjoy listening to ...but you can still call it music and if you're having fun that's all that matters, right

so yeah, it would help to know some basics if that's your goal
everyone learns differently though, there is not one correct answer as to how you should go about acquiring that knowledge
experimentation and practice are very important as well

so have fun making music :)

LokiStriker

Postby LokiStriker » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:26 pm

In all honesty I feel that you do need to know about music in order to make "good" music on FT,
after all, is still composing and else. If you like organization maybe FT will be good,
given that you can visually see the space between notes and patterns that form when composing.

I would say learn the basics, if you can learn an instrument as well, I would highly recommend it,
as that was my way into FT. I started playing ukelele and made songs that were composed in that.
You always knew my weak spot, and you knew my breaking point...
Oh... how you loved to kill me...

SoundCloud.com/lokistriker

ZeroJanitor

Postby ZeroJanitor » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:12 am

I never played an instrument and instead learned most of what I know about music theory within FamiTracker. A lot of my early stuff is bad as a result, but I did learn and get better over time.

I think if you can make even a halfway decent song in your head, everything else is just learning how to write it down.

TheNoobHunter

Postby TheNoobHunter » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:16 am

When I started using Famitracker, I had no knowledge of music theory beyond playing percussion in school band. I started out doing remixes and just learned as I went along.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:36 pm

At a minimum, all you need is the ability to identify a note when you hear it -- if not by name then by finding the matching note in FamiTracker -- and the ability to identify separate tracks in an arrangement. However this is just a minimum, the more experience you have with music in general the better you will do. For example, the ability to identify a song's key (i.e. which is the root note, the 5th tonic, whether the song is in a major or minor key, etc.) makes it a lot easier to reproduce a track because once you have the starting note correct, you can make better guesses of what the other notes following it are.