N163 Questions [Beta]

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
ZachJac

N163 Questions [Beta]

Postby ZachJac » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:59 am

I've never really spend any decent amount of time really using the N163 expansion module, and so today I decided to just play around with it. While doing this however, I noticed some weird audio quirks I've not seen before.
N163 Test.ftm
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

What I have here is a normal piano instrument playing an arpeggio for the first frame; the first four N163 Channels carry this arpeggio and use the same exact patterns all the way through the track. While messing around, I found out that if you make another instrument, check the wave box in the editor, then sustain that note for the whole frame on the lowest octave and on a volume of zero, the piano arpeggio will become distorted depending on what waveform the second instrument is. Following the first frame of the track, I performed this quirk with several different waveforms "playing" on channel 5. The results each give off a neat sort of blending of the two waveforms, some of which are rather pleasing.
But with all of this said, I'm not exactly sure why it happens. I thought it might be because of the chip quickly swapping between the two waveform envelopes, but the 5th channel has it's volume set to 0, so would that still apply?
I knew the N163 had some weird rules, but I didn't know they were like this. Any explanation as to what is happening would be great!
Ha! You just wasted your time trying to read this tiny text!

Quirby64

Re: N163 Questions [Beta]

Postby Quirby64 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Its actually where in the wave RAM it is - since they're both set to 0 it makes the piano that new instrument.
There's probably something more technical to it, but that's at least what I know. \.o./
Dank Memes. That's all I got.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:39 am

You have all the instruments occupying 32 wavetable memory slots from 0 to 31 instead of having others at 32 to 63, 64 to 95 etc. When channel 5 tries to load its instrument it overwrites whatever the other channels were using with its own 32 values.
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

ZachJac

Postby ZachJac » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:08 am

Ah. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks!
Ha! You just wasted your time trying to read this tiny text!