BRAINSTORMING - Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
recme

BRAINSTORMING - Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project

Postby recme » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:33 am

Hello and welcome to the Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project! I'd like to thank those people who voted for me to become the leader of this project. I really appreciate it!

To kick off this portion, we are going to be brainstorming for the video game soundtrack we will all cover. It can be any soundtrack, whether its good or bad, popular or underrated, or new and old. The sky is the limit! However, my only request is if you may format your suggestion in a certain way so that I can see everything clearly and not go through huge chunks of posts. Here's the suggested (and preferred) format:

Game:
Playlist:
Why should the community cover this OST:

With that said, let the brainstorming begin!

The brainstorming portion ends on June 18th 11:59 p.m. EST
Last edited by recme on Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

James_S

Re: BRAINSTORMING - Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project

Postby James_S » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:17 am

anything as long as its not on the NES/Famicom; I think that covering non-8 bit peices would help us think of ways to replicate instruments and sounds and work better overall as a teambuilding activity.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

ImATrackMan

Postby ImATrackMan » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:35 am

Going against the suggestion of non-FC tracks.

Lagrange Point but with the VRC6 (it'd still work because we'd have to replicate non-PSG waves)

I did the opening a long while ago, but other tracks that could be done are:
The Resurrection of Sabbath (ending)
Departure and Arrival
City of Birthday
Satellite Base - Vesta Town
Any others people think might sound good

I think it'd be a good project to go for because it hasn't been done and it'd offer a good opportunity to rework something in a completely different way than it was initially created and intended to be heard.
Slowly working on a thing called "FaMIGA".
I do all hardware recordings including Sunsoft5B, FDS, and MULTICHIP !
>quscx uvngw bebxm xqdyl<

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Anything where no sequence data can be dumped; this excludes over half of the GBA soundtracks, almost all of DS, a lot of PSX, a lot of PX2, every emulated VGM format, and other systems encompassed by the VGM format, but still leaves a lot of streamed video game soundtracks available.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

TheMudkipMaster12

Postby TheMudkipMaster12 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:56 pm

HertzDevil wrote:Anything where no sequence data can be dumped; this excludes over half of the GBA soundtracks, almost all of DS, a lot of PSX, a lot of PX2, every emulated VGM format, and other systems encompassed by the VGM format, but still leaves a lot of streamed video game soundtracks available.

Does this include the Sega CD? Because I feel that Sonic CD (Jap/Eur) could be a great soundtrack to cover. It has lots of great music and it's a LOT better than the Usa soundtrack.
"It's funny because cool, means cold." -Savestate, Feb. 17, 2016

HI IM KIPPTUNE AND THIS IS MY OLD ACCOUNT LOL

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:49 pm

FamicomForever wrote:anything as long as its not on the NES/Famicom; I think that covering non-8 bit peices would help us think of ways to replicate instruments and sounds and work better overall as a teambuilding activity.

I completely agree with this.

ImATrackMan wrote:Lagrange Point but with the VRC6 (it'd still work because we'd have to replicate non-PSG waves)

I don't think this is a good idea, but not because it's a Famicom soundtrack, only because the soundtrack mostly consists of really short tracks that wouldn't pose much of a challenge to most people here.
Follow me on Twitter.

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:14 pm

HertzDevil wrote:Anything where no sequence data can be dumped; this excludes over half of the GBA soundtracks, almost all of DS, a lot of PSX, a lot of PX2, every emulated VGM format, and other systems encompassed by the VGM format, but still leaves a lot of streamed video game soundtracks available.

Well, shoot. That excludes most of my suggestions. I think I'll make a few of them anyway.

Game: Mother 3
Playlist: www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4MdM_T9C34 (dunno if you were looking for separate videos in a list but I couldn't find a complete upload in that format anyway)
Why should the community cover this OST: Quite varied styles, some interesting tempo/meter stuff on some of the battle tunes, probably a pretty easy-to-replicate soundfont.

Game: Langrisser II
Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1B6463420F
Why should the community cover this OST: Simple enough to be covered by ear easily, great melodies, mostly in a straightforward rock style we're all familiar with working in.

Game: Thunder Force IV
Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... B4713E7D2A
Why should the community cover this OST: Plenty of long-ish, enjoyable tracks. Again, easy and familiar style. There's a number of interesting "Omake" tracks that don't show up in gameplay which might be new to some people.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

Ultrabyte

Postby Ultrabyte » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:40 pm

I'll put out two here... don't know if theres a limit

First Game: Axelay
Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMsAzWC ... 56CA642844
Reason: The soundtrack has a good style, from being very atmospheric to very jazzy, and the instruments are easy too replicate.

Second Game: Donkey Kong Country
Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cscrBLh ... 0F33E8C5CA
Reason: The soundtrack is enjoyable to listen to, has a great sense of style, with some songs being fast and rough, to slow and relaxing, and it would be a good challenge to replicate the different instruments used.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:42 am

Game: Super Turrican (NES)
Playlist: NOAP (Xiphos2000 posted the full soundtrack) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQTWapwCupk
Why should the community cover this OST: Well, it is very catchy and easy-sounding so this could be somewhat of an example track.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:00 am

Kay. So! I'll put forth my suggestion.

Game: Rudra no Hihou (SFC/SNES)
Playlist: see here
Why should the community cover this OST: Rudra no Hihou is a JRPG by Square, in similar vein to their FFVI and Chrono Trigger, that wasn't released outside of Japan. It has a nice soundtrack that I think is worthy of more attention. With over 50 tracks, there's plenty of work to go around, and most of the tracks are melody-driven in some way (there's a few "ambient" or sfx-driven tracks, including one of the final boss themes, that might be difficult to recreate on 8-bit h/w, though). The .spc rip is easily downloadable, and most .spc players support channel splitting for easier cover-ing. Finally, musical styles in here range from orchestral to hard rock, with some other genres represented here and there.

Return to “General Talk”