How to find out what notes there are in a cover song?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
ComputerCraze

How to find out what notes there are in a cover song?

Postby ComputerCraze » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:46 pm

I am trying to cover TMNT4's title screen song (and hopefully the whole ost). However, I have run into a quite tricky spot with some sort of scale. I'm not much of a composer myself, so I have no clue what is going on. How do you guys figure out what these notes are? Is it just "perfect pitch" or is it another resource I haven't come across? Thank you for the help.

TheNoobHunter

Re: How to find out what notes there are in a cover song?

Postby TheNoobHunter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:45 am

I usually just use midis when I cover a song
This might help:
http://www.khinsider.com/midi/snes/teen ... es-in-time

ComputerCraze

Postby ComputerCraze » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:50 am

Is there a way to figure out the notes in the midi though? I'm using SPCPlay to play the songs and I don't see how MIDIs would be any different.

TheNoobHunter

Postby TheNoobHunter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:49 am

ComputerCraze wrote:Is there a way to figure out the notes in the midi though? I'm using SPCPlay to play the songs and I don't see how MIDIs would be any different.

Synthesia works really well

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:17 am

In SPCPlay you can mute and unmute each channel until you have soloed the channel you want, and then slow down the song up to 25% the original speed. If you can identify the notes in other parts, you can identify those notes after many tries.

Always trust your ear rather than any MIDI transcription. Always trust your ear rather than any MIDI transcription, even if you have poor ability to identify pitches. (MIDI logs are okay.)
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

ComputerCraze

Postby ComputerCraze » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks guys! I was looking around online and I found an online tuner, https://www.flutetunes.com/tuner/. What I did was I listened to the note, tried to replicate it with my voice, and it would tell me the pitch. I was able to determine the pitches of the note (despite my horrible vocals) and input it into FamiTracker. Thank you for the help!

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:44 pm

One method I occasionally use in Audacity is to select a range where there's a note of interest and then do a frequency analysis of it, setting the graph mode on autocorrelation instead of raw frequency spectrum. Then I look for the largest peaks in the graph via mouseover and Audacity identifies both the frequency and what note it correlates to. Then test that note in FT and see if it sounds right.

This being said, HertzDevil is correct -- Always trust your own judgment over anything else. It helps if you can identify the key of a song by ear, but that does require practice.