"Blank" Measure Working in Tracker but not in NSF?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
blastvortex

"Blank" Measure Working in Tracker but not in NSF?

Postby blastvortex » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:11 am

Odd problem to have, but in one track I have in a mod, I'm trying to insert a partial frame at the end of the track. One note plays at the beginning, is cut, and then there's a command to jump (or skip) back to the first frame at the point it should.

It works fine in Famitracker, but when I export an NSF, it just skips to the next track instead of jumping (or skipping) back to the beginning. I'm guessing it has something to do with the empty space. I would counter by putting the partial frame at the beginning of the track, but then I have a note and mostly dead space at the beginning of the track. I know if I fill some of the partial frame with notes it will loop properly, but there really shouldn't be anything like that in that particular frame. I've tried both the Skip and Jump effects, but with the same result. Also tried inserting zero-volume notes trick it, but to the same result. Is there a way around it? (If not, I guess I'll just have to fudge it with a lead back into the first frame or something such.)
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

HertzDevil

Re: "Blank" Measure Working in Tracker but not in NSF?

Postby HertzDevil » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:20 am

Which parameters did you put for the Bxx and/or Dxx commands?
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

blastvortex

Postby blastvortex » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:51 am

I used location "00" for the Bxx/Dxx command, since I figured it has to be directed to the first frame for the jump/skip. Was that wrong?
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:27 am

Without seeing the actual module, ...maybe? Don't forget that the parameter differs between Bxx and Dxx:
Bxx - Jump to frame #xx, row 00.
Dxx - Jump to next frame, row #xx.

Ruling that out, why it operates differently between FT in-program versus in a compiled NSF I can't answer. HertzDevil can give some insight, but it'd save a lot of time if you can attach the module where it occurs so we can look at it directly.

blastvortex

Postby blastvortex » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Sure. Don't know what I was thinking about not posting that. And I know there's a difference between Bxx and Dxx. I was just trying to see if using another parameter might help me fix the problem, to same nil result. Anyway, it's at the end of the first track of the two.

RAPTEST1.ftm
(15.27 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:38 pm

Nothing wrong with it, remember that the first frame is 00, not 01.

blastvortex

Postby blastvortex » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:36 am

Well, might it just be the playback emulation then? I've been using NotsoFatso through WinAMP for as long as I can remember, and never really thought anything of it. If that's the issue, I might still want to fight a way around it (despite potentially inferior programming) simply to get it to perform the way that makes an NSF more accessible (like a fade-in high hat, which I've been using to force a loop in an NSF export, though it still doesn't feel right). Otherwise, I expect I would have to recommend playing an NSF through some other music-playing program, i.e. Deliplayer or whatever WOULD work properly. That isn't exactly optimum, so you might see the dilemma. (And if you want a source to blame, I'd target OCR, personally.)
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:41 pm

The Bxx command works exactly as advertised, there are no differences between FamiTracker 0.4.6 and the NSF it exports.

EDIT: Honestly I have no idea what you are even trying to achieve. Can you attach a module where the desired loop is done by manually repeating the pattern data?

Return to “General Talk”