Looking for .dcm file that sounds something like this...

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Yung Gotenks

Re: Looking for .dcm file that sounds something like this...

Postby Yung Gotenks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 am

HertzDevil wrote:You need SPCTOOL, or Split700 (also at SMWCentral), to extract samples from an SPC file. Additionally you might need to change their sample rates using an audio editor to match the original pitches before they can be imported.

SPCPlay actually supports "saving" WAV files. All player settings will be used, including channel muting; this is another way of obtaining samples, and is often faster if the sample has either a loop point or an envelope.

Okay well i'm exporting the sample i need to a WAV File but the duration is 0:00 which causes windows to not read it.
Why.
Fun fact: My username here is the same as my youtube channel!
Check it out.

tadpole

Postby tadpole » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:57 pm

Here are the 3 drum samples from the song. wav format
The low noise is used by downpitching the closed hihat.
It is difficult to get them to sound good when converting them to DMC files.

Yung Gotenks wrote:Okay well i'm exporting the sample i need to a WAV File but the duration is 0:00 which causes windows to not read it.
Why.

Windows will read it. Windows media player should play the file. Or any decent music editor. Winamp might have problems with such a short file, depending on your settings.
Attachments
robo.rar
(24.13 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Yung Gotenks

Postby Yung Gotenks » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:06 pm

tadpole wrote:Here are the 3 drum samples from the song. wav format
The low noise is used by downpitching the closed hihat.
It is difficult to get them to sound good when converting them to DMC files.

Yung Gotenks wrote:Okay well i'm exporting the sample i need to a WAV File but the duration is 0:00 which causes windows to not read it.
Why.

Windows will read it. Windows media player should play the file. Or any decent music editor. Winamp might have problems with such a short file, depending on your settings.

Well what if i want it to play a note other then C-4?
Check it out.

tadpole

Postby tadpole » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:25 am

There are 15 pitches you can play each DMC sample at. Generally only the last few are going to be usable. Go too low and it sounds very scratchy.

If you can't get it to sound the way you like with adjusting the pitch value, you can try pitching it down with an audio editor like audacity. Export a new wav file, and import as a new DMC file.

The more you play with the dpcm channel, the more you're going to be frustrated by its limitations. It usually just sounds crappy!

If I were to cover Robo's theme, I'd use the noise channel for those odd drum effects. And I'd use ripped TMNT or Mario 3 DMC files for the kicks and snares.

Yung Gotenks

Postby Yung Gotenks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:31 am

tadpole wrote:There are 15 pitches you can play each DMC sample at. Generally only the last few are going to be usable. Go too low and it sounds very scratchy.

If you can't get it to sound the way you like with adjusting the pitch value, you can try pitching it down with an audio editor like audacity. Export a new wav file, and import as a new DMC file.

The more you play with the dpcm channel, the more you're going to be frustrated by its limitations. It usually just sounds crappy!

If I were to cover Robo's theme, I'd use the noise channel for those odd drum effects. And I'd use ripped TMNT or Mario 3 DMC files for the kicks and snares.

Yeah Yeah Yeah but my question was how do i get, for example: A DPCM instrument that plays at D-4, But in famitracker i assigned it to C-4. Because SPCTool, from my experience, only exports in to C-4.
Check it out.

tadpole

Postby tadpole » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Edit the wav file in audacity or another editor. Get it pitched to the right pitch, export a wav file. Make a new DMC with that wav file.

Steve

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:06 pm

tadpole wrote:Edit the wav file in audacity or another editor. Get it pitched to the right pitch, export a wav file. Make a new DMC with that wav file.

Sorry, another noob question: how do I convert .wav to .dcm?

Yung Gotenks

Postby Yung Gotenks » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 pm

Steve wrote:
tadpole wrote:Edit the wav file in audacity or another editor. Get it pitched to the right pitch, export a wav file. Make a new DMC with that wav file.

Sorry, another noob question: how do I convert .wav to .dcm?

Famitracker can do that for you. Create a instrument, go to the DPCM Tab, click Import, then select your wav file. Some options will pop up. Just mess around with them until you like it, then press ok, and finally, assign the sample to a key.
Check it out.

Teuthida

Postby Teuthida » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Steve, I ave a tutorial on using DPCM samples. It's a little rough around the edges(it was my first one, after all) but I think it will help you out: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=2EffoY2ntyM
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Steve

Postby Steve » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:59 pm

Thanks Teuthida, I'll watch that.

EDIT: That's leading me to... my channel? I'm confused :P

EDIT 2: Nevermind, I found the vid through your signature.

Return to “General Talk”