Composing Duet Vocals in Famitracker?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Gavzilla

Composing Duet Vocals in Famitracker?

Postby Gavzilla » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:48 pm

Hello, Famitracker community! I'm back with a question.

Recently I've started to arrange the song "You Are The Music In Me" from High School Musical 2. This is the first time I'm trying to compose vocals in Famitracker, so already I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. But also the song contains some very powerful harmonies between Efron and Hugdens (the two leads) and you would lose a lot from this song if you weren't able to successfully replicate them. Famitracker is obviously more limiting than a human voice, but I still believe that this feat could be conquered. I just don't know how.

So, my question is how do you compose a Duet Vocal of this style without causing too much phasing and making it feel like a human voice? I'm afraid that, because of the repeating notes due to syllables, it sounds too stiff and static, not moving and dynamic like actual voices. I've tried to counteract this by using 3xx, 4xx, Qxx commands to add a bit of variation, but I don't I'm going at this the right way.

For reference, here's the Piano-Vocal arrangement I've been using as a basis for the cover.
Attachments
You are the Music in Me.ftm
The In-Progress FTM.
(3.47 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

BioMechanicalDude

Re: Composing Duet Vocals in Famitracker?

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:26 am

Yeah, trying to replicate vocals with chiptune instruments is not an easy task. I do think, however, that you have done a pretty good job. There aren't as many repeating notes here, so it doesn't really get stale.
But, yeah, this topic is interesting. Does anyone have ideas or a certain way they go about covering vocals in Famitracker? Cause there are songs that have a lot of repeating notes and I'm never quite sure what to do about it, except maybe changing some of them around, which can be very tricky and you really gotta know what you're doing.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

Gavzilla

Postby Gavzilla » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Bio. One of the strategies I've been applying to this piece is singing along with some of the lyrics to try and capture some of the subtle pitch changes and slides from one note to the next. Although I haven't applied this to the entire tracker (yet); I've been listening to the entire song a lot (too much it seems like) trying to capture some of the original vocal vibratos.

But that's all I really have for now. Thanks for the reply!

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:32 pm

That is a very good idea. I tried doing something similar, when making a failed cover of "2 Minutes to Midnight" by Iron Maiden. The pitch changes I made there were very drastic though. They were supposed to emulate the more rash vocals, but it didn't translate well into a chiptune or any kind of instrumental track.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

Return to “General Talk”