newbie needs help creating megaman 2 drums

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
starblazer

newbie needs help creating megaman 2 drums

Postby starblazer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:52 pm

hi!

sorry if this has been posted elsewhere...but i have scoured...and to no avail.

as far as i know...i am looking for megaman 2 .wavs that can be imported into a DPCM kit.

where would i find these?

is it better to make your own instrument sounds? can this be done to perfectly emulate mm2 drums?

i have nesvst and famitracker.

so far, i have only found this information:

In early Mega Man games, snares have some 'stairs' more than a smooth fade-out:
15 15 15 7 7 7 7 0 (Mega Man 2 snare)

In some Mega Man games, arpeggios have been used in drums:
0 2 4 6 8 10 12 (Mega Man 2 snare)

but i do not know what to do with these numbers.

i have also found a program that apparently rips dcms from roms.

would this be good? has someone already done this here?

i need to make perfect mm2 drums for an upcoming project.

apologies for all the many questions.

hopefully hear from somebody soon!

thanks in advance,

star

HertzDevil

Re: newbie needs help creating megaman 2 drums

Postby HertzDevil » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:41 pm

Create a new 2A03 instrument, then paste these numerical sequences into the edit box and press enter after selecting Volume and Arpeggio respectively:
If these instrument sequences are indeed accurate with respect to the Mega Man 2 sound engine, then one could find a noise pitch such that inputting notes on the noise channel with this pitch and instrument can replicate the exact same "drum" from Mega Man 2. To perfectly extract percussion instruments by hand, you need either a NSF player that can inspect channel statuses (e.g. NSFPlay with LOG_CPU enabled) or rainwarrior's NSF Importer build.

Disregard DPCM. (The delta compression will severely impact the quality of the near-white noise produced by these 2A03 noise instruments, so any attempt to import "Mega Man 2 drums" as DPCM will result in samples far from perfect. Mega Man 2 did not use delta-modulated samples in the first place.)
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

starblazer

Postby starblazer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:38 pm

wow! thanks for this! starting to make more sense now to me.

a few things, if you have a minute:

1. when i use midi keyboard input...there seems to be a delay...however, when i use regular old keyboard...there doesn't seem to be any delay. if i lower buffer rate too low...it doesn't work...no sound.
2. is there a "sample" pack somewhere of percussion mm sounds...in wav format. in other words, someone has entered all these codes...and then recorded the output sound to .wav? or, is this what you meant...when you said "disregard dpcm"?
3. also, and this is pretty basic (*apologies*) but when i hit play at the top of ft, it scrolls thru notes placed...but it doesn't play at all'; however, i can hear the sound when i input the note originally.

your help is much appreciated!

cheers,

star

starblazer

Postby starblazer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:01 pm

hi!

can anybody help me out here?

cheers.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:20 pm

starblazer wrote:2. is there a "sample" pack somewhere of percussion mm sounds...in wav format. in other words, someone has entered all these codes...and then recorded the output sound to .wav? or, is this what you meant...when you said "disregard dpcm"?

That's exactly what he said about disregarding the DPCM (sampled sound effects) channel, most percussion noises are made with various volume/pitch combinations in the Noise channel. DPCM did get used for percussion instruments here and there but MM2 wasn't one of them.

3. also, and this is pretty basic (*apologies*) but when i hit play at the top of ft, it scrolls thru notes placed...but it doesn't play at all'; however, i can hear the sound when i input the note originally.

Either your channel volume is set to low/off (which would be immediately obvious) or you're having problems with your sound configuration.

starblazer

Postby starblazer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:00 pm

thanks for all the help!

i think i'm getting it now!

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:43 pm

If you want to make those Mega Man-style toms, here's what you do:
Create a new 2A03 instrument. Make sure the instrument is on the Noise channel.
Click Volume, then go to Pitch.
Enter | 15 (to make |, press shift + \ key).
There you go.
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

Return to “General Talk”