Drum/Cymbal Roll Methods

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
LarryLarington

Drum/Cymbal Roll Methods

Postby LarryLarington » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 am

Hi guys,

I've been experimenting with the noise channel and I was wondering what methods people have come up with to create convincing rolls on either a cymbal or a snare. I've tried the following methods with varying success:

1. Low Fxx (tempo) to allow manual input of notes and editing volume column (alternating "pitch" sometimes helps)

2. Using 0xx (arpeggio) to rapidly alternate "pitch"

3. Adding 4xx (vibrato) to the note (works better for cymbal reverb in my experience)

4. Looping the volume envelope in the instrument editor (ex. | 15 10 6 5)

Using the arpeggio envelope in the instrument editor can go in tandem with any of these methods to improve the sound.

--------------------

As of now, I'm not sure which one produces the best roll (I can see song context playing a part in it).

I attached a .ftm of all the methods I described so you can get a gist of each and listen to the differences (for a snare). Would love to hear what you guys think and what works for you. :)

Larry
Attachments
Drum Roll Methods.ftm
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Current Project: TBD
Completed: Thunder Force IV - Count Down Continue

Shywolf

Re: Drum/Cymbal Roll Methods

Postby Shywolf » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:18 pm

LarryLarington wrote:4. Looping the volume envelope in the instrument editor (ex. | 15 10 6 5)

Using the arpeggio envelope in the instrument editor ...

This is what I personally use. I find there's more control through this method to make a stronger "rat-tat-tat-tat-tat" sound.

That said, the last one in your .ftm, though with the noise pitch at 5 instead and the 4xx and 0xx effects cancelled, sounds closest to a snare roll IMO.

LarryLarington

Re: Drum/Cymbal Roll Methods

Postby LarryLarington » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:32 pm

Shywolf wrote:
LarryLarington wrote:4. Looping the volume envelope in the instrument editor (ex. | 15 10 6 5)

Using the arpeggio envelope in the instrument editor ...

This is what I personally use. I find there's more control through this method to make a stronger "rat-tat-tat-tat-tat" sound.

That said, the last one in your .ftm, though with the noise pitch at 5 instead and the 4xx and 0xx effects cancelled, sounds closest to a snare roll IMO.

Oh good catch with the fact I forgot to cancel the 4xx and 0xx! I made the changes you suggested and I think I have to agree with you. You can change the speed of the roll with the length of the envelope and fine tune the resonance of the strike with the actual numbers.

I don't know if this will make that much of a difference, but I think extending the envelope loop to include two different strikes could create a better sense of alternating hits.

Ex: | 15 10 6 14 9 4

This way you get the slightest hint of a leading hand in the roll. You could probably take this even further to fully customize your entire roll! :idea:
Current Project: TBD
Completed: Thunder Force IV - Count Down Continue

Return to “General Talk”