Questions about FamiTracker

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Squidsquif

Questions about FamiTracker

Postby Squidsquif » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:43 am

Hi, I'm pretty new to FamiTracker. I've messed around with it for awhile, but this is my first time on the forums. A lot of people are talking about Vanilla FamiTracker and OCC files, and I have no clue what that means. What's the difference between regular FamiTracker (v0.4.6) and Vanilla Famitracker? Also, what's new about the beta version (besides the new module, Sunsoft 5B)? I'd appreciate it if anyone could clear this up :)

PinoBatch

Re: Questions about FamiTracker

Postby PinoBatch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:00 am

These are made by jsr
Vanilla: FamiTracker 0.4.6 (see downloads)
Beta: FamiTracker 0.5 beta 5 (see topic Version 0.5 preview for details)

This is made by HertzDevil and is kinda-sorta-offtopic on forums.famitracker.com
0CC-FT: 0CC-FamiTracker 0.3.15.1 (see programs)

0CC-FT has essentially all the features of Beta plus a bunch more that improve usability and musical expressiveness.
If MMC5/VRC6 is a crutch, then VRC7 is a wheelchair ♿

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:02 pm

"Vanilla" is an informal term for "normal" or "regular", to be clear. FT v0.4.6 and "vanilla FamiTracker" generally refer to the same program.

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:47 am

Before 0CC-FamiTracker gained popularity it used to be called an "unofficial FamiTracker release", so I said something along the lines of:
jsr's FamiTracker is the official release of vanilla FamiTracker (as opposed to builds such as Slimeball's with the N163 mixer switch), HertzDevil's 0CC-FamiTracker is the official release of 0CC-FamiTracker (as opposed to forks on GitHub)

Other people soon adopted the term, and nowadays "FamiTracker" alone sometimes means everything derived from jsr's original software, whereas "vanilla FamiTracker" refers specifically to jsr's unmodified builds.
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes 0CC-FamiTracker and MEGA ZUN.

Join my forum for 0CC-FamiTracker discussion and more

Squidsquif

Postby Squidsquif » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 am

Thank you PinoBatch, Shywolf, and HertzDevil! You guys really cleared up all of the techno babble, I'm really thankful :)
I spent all of your money on peach hats

StanleyMo

Postby StanleyMo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:17 pm

That makes a lot of sense, HertzDevil. I was confused earlier reading something and now I know why. The person was refering to some unmodified builds, and I thought they were refering to something else.

Return to “General Talk”