Imitating Instruments By Ear

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
chrisr

Imitating Instruments By Ear

Postby chrisr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:35 am

Hello, I am now kind of getting the hang of making music in Famitracker, but I think one thing is separating me from making the kinds of music I would like to make in Famitracker. And that's being able to imitate instruments from other NES games just by listening to them.
I've been using NSF Import to copy down the properties of an instrument in the instrument editor, and while it is pretty helpful, I don't really enjoy using it for this purpose for some reason. So, what I'm asking from you guys is to give me any tips, tricks, strategies or methods on how to recreate any instrument by ear (e.g.: How can I tell what the volume envelope of this is, what is the pitch of this instrument, etc.). Thanks in advance!

Teuthida

Re: Imitating Instruments By Ear

Postby Teuthida » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:30 am

Most people don't do instruments by ear; in fact, it' pretty much impossible unless you're some kind of savant. Most people either NSFImport the instruments or use Audacity to look at their waveforms.

As a side note, is there any reason why you need to imitate instruments exactly? Just wondering.
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

chrisr

Re: Imitating Instruments By Ear

Postby chrisr » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:29 am

Teuthida wrote:Most people don't do instruments by ear; in fact, it' pretty much impossible unless you're some kind of savant. Most people either NSFImport the instruments or use Audacity to look at their waveforms.

As a side note, is there any reason why you need to imitate instruments exactly? Just wondering.

Oh, I didn't realize that. I assumed that it was something that was possible and that pretty experienced Famitracker users were able to do it somehow. So, I admit that assuming that might have been a bit naive, and I guess I'll continue using NSF Import. But, I might use the Audacity method for imitating instruments outside of NES games, as I think that might work out well for that purpose. And, the answer to the question you asked is that I want to practice making music by using the instruments from the song and copying it so I can cover other songs in the styles of other NES games since that's what I want to do with Famitracker. Thanks for the reply!

Return to “General Talk”