Real hardware replay from an Everdrive card

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
garvalf

Real hardware replay from an Everdrive card

Postby garvalf » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:49 pm

hello,

I've made a few tunes with Famitracker 0.4.4, but when I replay them on my (Pal) NES with an Everdrive Card, the speed is slower than expected, like it was made for NTSC and replayed on Pal hardware (which is the case).

On one song, the expected tempo was 150 BPM, in the song settings speed was set to 6, tempo to 150 (default NTSC). During export, I've set the output to PAL, and type of file to iNES ROM image. This one replays too slow on my real NES.
So I've changed the tempo to 125 (default PAL), and Speed to 5. The resulting tempo should be 150, and it sounds the same in Famitracker.

But when I export it again to iNES/PAL format, it's still too slow on Real Hardware. What can I do?

Xyz

Re: Real hardware replay from an Everdrive card

Postby Xyz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:29 am

Tracker>PAL

This will make the ftm itself have an engine refresh rate of ~50Hz
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

garvalf

Postby garvalf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:21 pm

This thread is almost one year old... :roll:

hmm, I don't remember if I saw your reply or if I gave up before that...

but I've found a solution. I did change the PAL setting, but it was still too slow. Then today I discovered that if we set a custom frequency, a lower frequency will replay faster (I thought it was the opposite). If I enable PAL everywhere (in the engine and in the .NES output), and choose a custom frequency of 50 Hz, it will replay almost at the right speed. If I choose "default" (which should be 50 Hz for PAL, right?), it's too slow, I don't understand why.
Last edited by garvalf on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

garvalf

Postby garvalf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 am

I've made more tests, comparing latest official famitracker 0.4.6 and latest j0cc tracker, the output sounds the same in both case. And there is no differences if I choose ntsc or pal (either in engine/region or during nsf export). The only difference is if I choose custom speed. In this case, from famitracker if I choose a tempo of 150, in the exported "default" pal or ntsc .nes file, the tempo is 150. The exported custom 50 Hz will result in a tempo of 180 (in emulator). For a C note, the export will always be a C, regardless of the speed or pal/ntsc.

On my hardware, the default will have a tempo of 120 instead of 150, and the custom 50 Hz will have a tempo of 150. The C note will turn half step down, and always become a B instead.

Edit: the emulator runs in ntsc mode, so if I enable pal mode, the emulator behave exactly like my everdrive cardridge, both for pitch and for speed.

Return to “General Talk”