Thunderforce IV - Community Cover Project

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
danooct1

Re: Thunderforce IV - Community Cover Project

Postby danooct1 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:20 am

recme wrote:
ImATrackMan wrote:I read that as "Only one person per song" not "only one song per person". You should have phrased that better.

even if i was the one at fault, other people in this thread understood what i meant when i said that. it doesnt give you an excuse, so i must ask that you shouldnt make a big deal about such a small detail.

nonetheless, i shall change the statement.

i don't think he was making a big deal out of it at all.

with mismatched expansions, sloppy entry handling, and vrc7 modules of an already FM soundtrack, i can't say i'm really looking forward to the end result of all of this. good luck tho
famiTRACKER

za909

Postby za909 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:52 am

Well I've had enough of trying to make things to appeal to a select person when it came to my hobbies over the years so no, I'm fixing up my "submission" and then I will proceed to post it in the cover forum just like any other song. So people, you're free to take Stage 6! And good luck, hopefully we'll get some good covers out of ths at least.

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:43 am

Alright, before everyone backs out and this becomes a complete failure, can we try to find a fix for
danooct1 wrote:mismatched expansions, sloppy entry handling
that will please everyone, or at least get some more opinions? We already have some covers that clearly had a lot of work put into them and you guys shouldn't feel forced into dismissing them based on one or two comments here. Before anyone takes any more drastic actions, let's get recme and/or jrlepage in here and figure out what we're actually trying to do. A community cover project shouldn't exclude anyone.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

za909

Postby za909 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:29 am

Ok, I guess I'll back off from backing off so easily... sorry I've experienced some pretty horrible criticism before (like being told to go die in a hole for going above the 4th octave) so I react even to constructive ideas negatively sometimes... I guess I'll wait and see what happens. It wouldn't be difficult to go and redo the cover for another expansion because all the channels are in there now as they should be.

LarryLarington

Postby LarryLarington » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:42 am

Absolutely agree with jaxcheese. I honestly don't approve of that kind of negativity if it's not constructive and not offering possible solutions and/or actions to take.

Something we have to realize is projects like this are innately difficult to organize -- we have multiple people from different countries, different time zones, different work flows, trying to collaborate across the internet. If someone knows an easy way to do this please come forward. It makes sense that there are many ways to do things here, and it makes even MORE sense to deal with any problems that come our way rather than shrug them off and quit. I'm definitely not a quitter, and I hope you guys aren't either.

That said, the work you guys have already done SHOULD NOT be excluded in my opinion. So what if you used the VRC7 to cover the tracks? That just means you are purposefully giving yourself MORE WORK to create a more faithful and accurate cover. I personally love all the tracks that y'all have submitted so far.

Let's wait for recme or jrlepage to chime in on this. I'm having a lot of fun with this project so far, and everyone who has contributed to it should be proud of their work.
Current Project: TBD
Completed: Thunder Force IV - Count Down Continue

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:53 pm

lol "inclusivity"

Lepage already expressed disdain for every expansion allowed and multiple FTMs. Pick some defined constraints and ensure all adhere to it. Otherwise they don't get to participate.
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Wow, this certainly took a strange turn.

I think everyone needs to understand that this is a difficult project to put together, let alone lead. recme has done a good job so far of picking a direction and steering the project that way. It may not please anyone entirely, and perhaps some of you would've done things differently if you had been directing the project, but remember that you had a chance to do so. There was a fair election at the top of the project, and you all democratically decided to put recme in charge (I didn't vote because I wanted as little involvement in this as possible).

That doesn't mean you have to agree with every decision he makes, or even take part in the project at all – some of you already decided to exercice this privilege – but remember that this all started as an idea for the community to get together and just have a good time. If this has to turn into a political thing, then the fun is removed from the equation and the project has already failed.

I don't really have anything to say other than that. In my eyes, if the community can just get together and complete this project according to the set of rules that recme, the project leader, has put together according to what he thinks will yield the best results, then this will have already been a success. Then, once this project is complete, perhaps the community should discuss what was done right and what was done wrong, and then try again after making some adjustments to the ruleset and the way the project was directed.

But for now, I have faith that recme is capable of deciding what rules to enforce and what restrictions to place in order to obtain good results out of this (and make sure the whole process is fair for everyone who wants to be involved). Consider anything he says in this thread as having the same authority as if I had said it myself. Treat him with the same respect you would any staff member. Please stick to the rules he has put in place, and if something truly displeases you, sort it out in private with him. And please, please, prettiest of please... Just have fun.
Follow me on Twitter.

MovieMovies1

Postby MovieMovies1 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:28 pm

I find danooct1's argument about using vrc7 seeing as TFIV already is fm completely nonsensical. Not only is the VRC7 a 2-operator FM unit compared to the YM2612's 4 operators, but only one preset patch at a time creates some serious difficulties in making it sound good at all, seeing as the presets aren't exactly the best of FM patches. Thunder Force IV is also one of those Mega Drive games that uses the algorithm 4 7-chord trick for some songs (The only other one that I know does this is Time Trax, but there could be more), and uses another two to make a stereo echo effect. This makes a true note-for-note cover impossible on the VRC7.
A lot of the reasons stated above is why I find the YM2413/VRC7 to be one of the harder FM sound sources to work with.

Quoting jrlepage above:
jrlepage wrote:Just have fun.

Cannot agree more, I really cannot.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:38 pm

I think you are forgetting that you have access to more than the 15 presets if you take advantage of patch sliding
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

recme

Postby recme » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:01 pm

danooct1 wrote:with mismatched expansions, sloppy entry handling, and vrc7 modules of an already FM soundtrack

i dont see the huge issue on not having a single expansion. nobody is explaining to me on why it's a bad thing to let people use whatever they want as an expansion. if someone can explain to me why it's such a bad option, then that would be great. otherwise, i dont really want to hear it unless a reason is attached.

as for sloppy entry handling, im having no issues with handling the entries. if someone can also explain to me on how it is sloppy (hint: it isnt. i have all entries on my dropbox, organized like how it is in the first post), then that would be great too.

finally, about vrc7 tracks, how is this a bad thing? if it makes you upset, then i'd advise chiming in on the project by adding something that isnt vrc7.

--

im completely confused on why some of you are letting go of their entries. what seems to be the problem here? why are you guys asking for limitations on expansions? isnt this supposed to be for fun? if anyone can step up and tell me what's the problem, then that would be great.

it would be great if you guys can help me out here, because so far, im only receiving complaints and negativity that really isnt needed in a activity thats for fun.

that being said, im going to edit the rules slighty in order to achieve more fun in this project. if you have any regards for the whole project, then please pm me nicely.

EDIT: the edits i made to the rules were the ones concerning me giving feedback to others through PM. i've realized that not all of you want feedback, so i may make another thread in case people want feedback on their entries. another edit was entries being approved. i decided to remove the whole approval system because since this project is for fun, i shouldnt be strict on people or with their entries. however, if i think the entry needs a bit more cleaning up, the thing i can do is give a suggestion in the manner of directing you to the feedback thread (if you guys even want that thread).

Return to “General Talk”