That darn Sxx command... can you help me?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
iYamWhatIYam

That darn Sxx command... can you help me?

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:43 am

I've been wanting to do pieces using the Sxx command, but here's the problem; I haven't a clue on how to use it! Can any of you give me a basic tutorial of the Sxx command? (Either written texts of .ftm files are both fine!)

Thanks a million.
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

James_S

Re: That darn Sxx command... can you help me?

Postby James_S » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:46 am

C-3 F S04

this plays a c note at F volume like normal, but the S effect cuts it off after 4 frames.
if you're using a speed and default tempo, you could do something like this

speed = 6
C-3 F S05
C-3 F S05
C-3 F S05
C-3 F S05
C-3 F
what this would do is play each note, but cut it off after 5 frames. because the speed is 6, it leaves 1 empty frame inbetween each note. This effect is helpful for making a triangle play many notes and cut off without having a note cut inbetween each note.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:52 am

I have moved this to General Talk because it's still related to FT.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

iYamWhatIYam

Postby iYamWhatIYam » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:54 am

FamicomForever wrote:C-3 F S04

this plays a c note at F volume like normal, but the S effect cuts it off after 4 frames.
if you're using a speed and default tempo, you could do something like this

speed = 6
C-3 F S05
C-3 F S05
C-3 F S05
C-3 F S05
C-3 F
what this would do is play each note, but cut it off after 5 frames. because the speed is 6, it leaves 1 empty frame inbetween each note. This effect is helpful for making a triangle play many notes and cut off without having a note cut inbetween each note.

Holy crap, is this a huge help. Thanks a lot. I really do appreciate it.
I have permanently switched to 0CC-FamiTracker. If and when JSR decides to update vanilla FamiTracker at this point is entirely out of the question for me.
YouTube
Twitter

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:21 am

Sxx is actually pretty easy once you get used to it, because the delay is measured in the same engine cycles as the Gxx command (and instrument definitions, e.g. volume envelopes).

It might help to think of Sxx as "play this note for xx frames before cutting it". It's also functionally equivalent to a note cut with an attached Gxx.

Keep in mind that if the delay is larger than the total number of cycles per row*, Sxx will be ignored if there's a new note on the next row. E.g. in IYamWhatIYam's example, where each row lasts 6 cycles, an S06 (S07, etc.) has no effect because by then the player has already proceeded to the next row and started a new note.

FamicomForever wrote:Sxx is helpful for making a triangle play many notes and cut off without having a note cut inbetween each note.

Sxx is especially useful if you have a complicated bassline that's playing a new note every row, and you literally can't insert a standard note cut between them.

Short Sxx delays (e.g. S01 or S02) are also useful for creating kick-drum effects. E.g. have Triangle play something like a C-3 .. . S01 and you'll notice how the short duration makes it sound less like a melodic note and more like a percussion note.

* PS - It's simple to calculate the cycles per row from any given speed/tempo combination. If you're the type to leave the Tempo at 150 and adjust Speed, you're specifying it in cycles per row already. Otherwise, if you're the type who likes to specify Tempo as a specific BPM, just insert the relevant numbers into this formula:

cycles per row = (60 * engine * speed) / (24 * tempo)
(a.k.a. = 2.5 * engine * speed / tempo)

(Aside: If the result of this equation is an integer, you have a "stable" or "integral" tempo: every row will last the exact same length as each other. If it has a fractional component, you have an "unstable" or "non-integral" tempo, and the timing of each row will get rounded the closest engine cycle possible.)

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:50 am

This is also a reason why many like to have an effect column just spamming Fxx effects. So that you don't run into a problem where using a tempo of not 150 will have some rows being exactly 6 frames but others being 5 frames. In this case if you spammed S05 on all your notes, some will not be cut off 1 frame early at all.
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Xyz wrote:This is also a reason why many like to have an effect column just spamming Fxx effects. So that you don't run into a problem where using a tempo of not 150 will have some rows being exactly 6 frames but others being 5 frames.

Some common tempos where this is the case:
160 BPM = ~5.6 cycles per row
200 BPM = 4.5 cycles per row

Return to “General Talk”