Favorite soundchip?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Xiphos2000

Favorite soundchip?

Postby Xiphos2000 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:56 am

I've noticed that alot of people like using soundchips in Famitracker. I never really saw why people like them so much, but on to that later.
So, what's your favorite Famicom soundchip? I'm interested in getting into them, and would like to hear the general opinion on which one people seem to enjoy using the most.
Now, for me, I generally like to stick with 2A03 the most, since I feel it's less complicated and provides more of a fun challenge when working in FT. I've used the VRC6 chip, which is nice too. I also like using the N163 chip, which can (sort of, at least) emulate C64 and GB sounds. I've heard some amazing stuff from the 5B chip, but have yet to work with it.
Just a guy who has no idea what he's talking about, no idea what he's doing, and happens to use this software. Poorly.

Vinyl Scratch

Re: Favorite soundchip?

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Fri May 08, 2015 3:26 am

From my experience of using the different expansions, I've found the N163 to be my favorite so far. It's mainly due to how expansive it is. It opens up so much freedom that you don't get with 2A03 alone, and it maxes out my composition abilities. The 8 extra channels (albeit hissing), the custom waveform capabilities, it all wins me over, especially the waveform customization. You can get some great sounds with it.

It's a good expansion chip for a lot of musical genres, the only ones it isn't very good for are ones that are more heavy on sub-bass frequencies, it just doesn't get the necessary tone and volume that most of those types of songs get. For songs like that, I would recommend VRC7.
Check out my Soundcloud for all my music.

Xiphos2000

Postby Xiphos2000 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:34 am

Vinyl Scratch wrote:It's a good expansion chip for a lot of musical genres, the only ones it isn't very good for are ones that are more heavy on sub-bass frequencies, it just doesn't get the necessary tone and volume that most of those types of songs get. For songs like that, I would recommend VRC7.

I've worked with the VRC7 before, and I honestly didn't like it at all. I'm still experimenting with N163 though, so I will agree with you on that.
Just a guy who has no idea what he's talking about, no idea what he's doing, and happens to use this software. Poorly.

Project

Postby Project » Fri May 08, 2015 4:34 am

VRC6 all the way. Can't go without that sawtooth.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Fri May 08, 2015 4:41 am

I'm between VRC6 and N163. I prefer VRC6 because it's easy to use and it provides great sound, especially if you know how to use it well, but N163 is really nice when you need a wider array of sounds, and it also grants a lot of freedom because of all the channels it has. Too bad the sound quality isn't great when you go above 4 channels.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Fri May 08, 2015 4:51 am

As one of the 2A03 "purists", I don't really use expansion chips much, but I do appreciate (on a practical level) how the MMC5 does not require duplicating your instrument definitions depending on whether it's a core or expanded channel. For which purposes it really is just two extra 2A03 Pulse channels. I agree it's not the most powerful chip in terms of audio capabilities ... the VRC6 has more duty cycles (and a sawtooth channel), the MMC5 has completely customizable waveforms, and the VRC7 has some serious power too.

But it really comes down to how it's used by the artist -- like I said, I consider myself a 'purist' and so I tend to be biased in favor of anything that doesn't stray too far from dat classic 2A03 sound.

Ryukenden

Postby Ryukenden » Fri May 08, 2015 10:15 am

Favourite is not present. Everyone is pleasant.
8-BIT FAN

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Fri May 08, 2015 11:34 am

I really like the N163 chip, it offers so much possibilities, but when wanting authentic Chiptunes I would go with MMC5.

RushJet1
Forum Staff

Postby RushJet1 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:02 pm

VRC6 is basically a better-sounding NES to me. It doesn't change the sound too much, but adds just enough in areas where NES is lacking (more defined bass, extra squares). MMC5 is like a slightly worse version of this, so it's pretty good too. The others tend to sound distinctly different from the core NES sound to me. You can make N163/FDS sound like a NES, but most games didn't.

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Fri May 08, 2015 3:13 pm

The N163 is pretty nice, I just don't like how it switches from wave 0 to 1,2, 3 etc., doesn't really sound good when you are using Patachu's Audacity tool for Sampling stuff.
The 2A03 can be cool tool too, but not really liking it that much, but it's cool.
The 5B can be one tough guy in term's of Env pitching, it's hard but it's okay.
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

Return to “General Talk”