Favorite soundchip?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Shywolf

Re: Favorite soundchip?

Postby Shywolf » Fri May 08, 2015 3:33 pm

In terms of pure "fun-factor", vanilla RP2A03 (as in no expansions) and VRC7 top my list. 2A03, because it forces me to experiment to get over its various limitations and produce something decent. And, VRC7, because I find it's much easier to get "evolving" or otherwise weird sounds out of it compared to the other expansions, plus I enjoy working with FM synthesis in general.

Apart from those, N163 is nice with its "draw-them-yourself" wavetables that are simple to customize, and it'll reasonably emulate most of the other expansions (let alone other systems, as mentioned in the OP). I've also been warming up to the FDS, which seems to keep the "wrangling-with-limitations" aspect of vanilla 2A03 while making sound design a little more interesting.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Fri May 08, 2015 7:30 pm

I find myself having the most fun when composing with the 2A03+VRC7 combo. At some point I also liked dabbling with the N163, but it eventually got old, something the VRC7 never did for me.
Follow me on Twitter.

Xiphos2000

Postby Xiphos2000 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:11 pm

Shywolf wrote: And, VRC7, because I find it's much easier to get "evolving" or otherwise weird sounds out of it compared to the other expansions, plus I enjoy working with FM synthesis in general.

Hm, that's quite an interesting point. I completely forgot that the VRC7 has FM sound! (Wow, am I an idiot.) I once used the VRC7, and while I enjoy the sound of it, I really didn't enjoy working with it, at all. I found it hard to get the sort of sound that I wanted, since I had trouble with custom instruments (this was a long time ago, my memory might just be really screwey) and I was limited to preset sounds. Also, for some reason, the arp effect didn't work properly on VRC7 when I used it, so that was also a detriment to my enjoyment. If I had to use FM sound, I would much rather use Deflemask or something. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

jrlepage wrote:I find myself having the most fun when composing with the 2A03+VRC7 combo. At some point I also liked dabbling with the N163, but it eventually got old, something the VRC7 never did for me.

For me, the VRC7 got old really fast. It just didn't click with me, I'm afraid. I really liked experimenting with getting the duty cycling to work and what I could do with the N163 chip, so I would recommend giving it another go and try something new with it.
Just a guy who has no idea what he's talking about, no idea what he's doing, and happens to use this software. Poorly.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Fri May 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Part of the reason why it never did get old is because I've gotten pretty good at coming up with custom instruments really quick. Another reason why I like to work with the VRC7 is the challenge of incorporating the default patches with your custom one + the sound of the 2A03.

I'm also not very good at coming up with waveforms that sound good on the N163 so that might explain why I got bored with it after a while. :p
Follow me on Twitter.

James_S

Postby James_S » Sat May 09, 2015 12:57 am

My personal thoughts on all the chips:
pure 2a03: for "true" chiptunes, this chip makes you really think about how you lay out your music to make it sound full. arpeggios are usually used for that purpose, and side by side really only good composers (not me) can make it sound as good as music with extra chips.

mmc5: 2a03, but with less restrictions.

vrc6: basically NES 2.0, the added pulses with more duty cycle options (v01 trumpets to the max) and the saw that's great for a bass/strong lead. this adds more variety to the 2a03 without adding too much.

vrc7: overkill. basically 16-bit at this point.

n163: overkill, but not the same as the vrc7; you have to be skilled to make it op. with up to 8 channels and customizable soundwaves, this is the best for artists that need more freedom with their hardware and covers of GB games.

FDS: only adds one more channel, so i mostly overlook it but sometimes used correctly is the most op; we've gotten to the point where people have been making "NES-loids" using the high quality customizable wavetype

5B: i dunno to be honest, never used it.

My favorite? n163 for covers because of it's freedom to make it sound faithful to the original and vrc6 for originals because of the easy usabilites with the extra channels.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sat May 09, 2015 2:09 am

Xiphos2000 wrote:... I found it hard to get the sort of sound that I wanted, since I had trouble with custom instruments (this was a long time ago, my memory might just be really screwey) and I was limited to preset sounds. Also, for some reason, the arp effect didn't work properly on VRC7 when I used it, so that was also a detriment to my enjoyment. If I had to use FM sound, I would much rather use Deflemask or something. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

FM synth stuff does have a learning curve, for sure. Still, like jrlepage, making usable customs is a lot more trivial for me, now, than it was before. After experimenting a lot, it starts to become more clear what combinations of settings create what types of sounds, and so on.

Anyway, there's some bugs involving the arp effect that will likely be fixed soon, although they have to do with note releases/cuts. Given that it was "a long time ago" that you used the VRC7, maybe you'll give it another try come the next FT release or so?

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sat May 09, 2015 2:18 am

lol at people discounting expansions as being fake

I'm a 2op FM man
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Xiphos2000

Postby Xiphos2000 » Sat May 09, 2015 2:36 am

Xyz wrote:lol at people discounting expansions as being fake

I'm a 2op FM man

Who here is "discounting expansions as being fake?" You know, just because you use expansions doesn't mean that you're somehow more skilled than everyone else.
Just a guy who has no idea what he's talking about, no idea what he's doing, and happens to use this software. Poorly.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Sat May 09, 2015 2:59 am

Wow, projection much?

Ctrl+f true
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

TheMudkipMaster12

Postby TheMudkipMaster12 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:10 am

I'm tied with FDS for the modulation and N163 for the customizable waveforms. I also like using plain 2a03 but that isn't an expansion :/
"It's funny because cool, means cold." -Savestate, Feb. 17, 2016

HI IM KIPPTUNE AND THIS IS MY OLD ACCOUNT LOL