Post your old, embarassing crap here!

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Roflo

Re: Post your old, embarassing crap here!

Postby Roflo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:57 pm

Some of my old stuff from a game I made and other, though I don't have the original ftm's anymore :)
Attachments
smbremix-2.mp3
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
sme.mp3
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
lvl_bgmusic_4.mp3
(614.52 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
lvl_bgmusic_2.mp3
(163.08 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
lvl_bgmusic_1.mp3
(372.59 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
korobeiniki-3.mp3
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
cs-1.mp3
(466.79 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

footprints420

Postby footprints420 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:42 am

Yeah, I'll bite. Here are the first two ftms I've ever made, spelling errors intact.
Attachments
cool.ftm
would you like that cheese GRATED
(9.58 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
1.ftm
the very first thing
(8.24 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Kuwabara, kuwabara....welcome to my unit, and to my hotbox.
Check out my Soundcloud profile (∩の ͜> の)⊃━☆゚. * ・ 。゚ https://soundcloud.com/footprints2014
And my bandcamp https://footprints919.bandcamp.com

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:37 am

snowolf wrote:And this, guys, is everything wrong you can do in famitracker and probably music in general...

...and it's only two months old. :oops:

I made this thinking "this thing is sooo easy to handle, I'm probably a chiptune expert!". So I jumped right into this soft by making a VRC6 (!) original (!!) track with a whopping 20 minutes of command learning.

Let's see:
- Triangle channel used for anything while also setting a duty cycle for it
- 2xx everywhere causing massive crackles in the track
- KICK SNARE KICK KICK SNARE all day long...
- The only purpose of hats are to accompany every kicks and snares
- Let's add a random drop in the middle of the track because why not
- "Hey, that release function seems cool, let's add it to every instrument!". But no trace of any release note anywhere
- Blank instrument isn't blank, I don't even know what I was thinking
- Overall messy track with a lot of clashing notes
- Track goes sonic fast after the loop because of poor Vxx knowledge
- Severals useless effects
- Bassline is too repetitive? Let's just change 1234 to 1243!

Then one day, I told myself "hey let's check what all these guys are making on this forum", and the end writes itself.

One learns from mistakes, and I learned a lot.

Now, I'm only making 2A03 tracks and easy cover to train myself and I'm still nervous about posting anything.

I apologize for the late response, but this actually isn't beyond salvaging. I made a few edits to it like getting rid of the clashing and most of the 2xx effects. It isn't perfect, but I think it's a start.

Also, let me just say that this isn't bad for your first module! You at least had a basic understanding of how chord progressions and general music theory work, which is more than I can say for my own attempt at an original (which I've fortunately deleted). I think this could be really good if you were to remake it!
Attachments
ok35_asdf.ftm
(26.33 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

snowolf

Postby snowolf » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Overlord99 wrote:
snowolf wrote:-snip-

I apologize for the late response, but this actually isn't beyond salvaging. I made a few edits to it like getting rid of the clashing and most of the 2xx effects. It isn't perfect, but I think it's a start.

Also, let me just say that this isn't bad for your first module! You at least had a basic understanding of how chord progressions and general music theory work, which is more than I can say for my own attempt at an original (which I've fortunately deleted). I think this could be really good if you were to remake it!

"Actually blank"
You made my day! :lol:

Seriously, I can't belive you actually made it listenable. It feels like a whole different song!
I'm gonna check your changes in detail, thanks for your corrections.

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:26 pm

snowolf wrote:
Overlord99 wrote:fgsfds

"Actually blank"
You made my day! :lol:

Seriously, I can't belive you actually made it listenable. It feels like a whole different song!
I'm gonna check your changes in detail, thanks for your corrections.

No problem!

Highway Man

Postby Highway Man » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:40 am

This was me at one point. Dead serious.
Times have changed, eh?
Attachments
oh god why.ftm
Warning: Very loud!
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
the artist formerly known as highway guy
now known as pulsebot

Lum

Postby Lum » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:12 am

Oh wow. I actually found something I made way back in 2010, years before I ever considered using FamiTracker seriously (or was even aware that these forums and other chiptune communities existed).

On one hand, it might be interesting to hear this turned into something listenable. On the other, that constant pulse clashing and the 166-step volume macro seem like a perfect lesson on how not to do things.
Attachments
song1.ftm
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:37 am

Lum wrote:On one hand, it might be interesting to hear this turned into something listenable.

I'm bored right now, so I got rid of the clashing (at least I think) and fixed up some volume issues, particularly the volume macro in the "big crash" instrument. It would be pretty cool to see this continue into a full-on song, but originals really aren't my forte.
Attachments
song1_asdf.ftm
(2.21 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Lum

Postby Lum » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 am

Overlord99 wrote:
Lum wrote:On one hand, it might be interesting to hear this turned into something listenable.

I'm bored right now, so I got rid of the clashing (at least I think) and fixed up some volume issues, particularly the volume macro in the "big crash" instrument. It would be pretty cool to see this continue into a full-on song, but originals really aren't my forte.

That's definitely going in the right direction (I personally would only detune pulse 1, but that's just personal preference).

If you or someone else wants to try turning my terrible old thing into a full song, that would be awesome. I don't think I can do it, though. Turns out writing a few bars of a song and shelving it for 5 years makes returning to it a bit difficult :lol:

Anyway, here's some less old stuff.
Attachments
lab.ftm
2012. This one baffles me... it was supposed to be a custom Pokemon Lab theme for a fangame that was abandoned a long time ago. It's weird because it almost sounds like it would work for that area, but it just loops. And loops. No progression, no atmosphere. It's kind of freaking me out.
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
intense.ftm
2013. Make sure you have earplugs handy.
(2.37 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
orig.ftm
2013. Truly pulse clashing at its finest. And why FDS? I guess we'll never know.
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Pencildragon

Postby Pencildragon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:48 am

I've not been using Famitracker that long, but this is the first thing I ever did in the program so I guess this counts. And honestly, I'm not that embarrassed by it. I know a lot of stuff I did wrong in it now though.
Attachments
RobocopC64.ftm
(14.35 KiB) Downloaded 31 times