Is it generally acceptable to use other people's instrument patches?

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
Pencildragon

Is it generally acceptable to use other people's instrument patches?

Postby Pencildragon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 am

I feel silly asking this, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere and don't want to step on any toes. This excludes DPCM and N163 instruments, since samples can be and very much are copyrighted from a lot of sources.

But do people generally use other people's instruments? After all, they can mostly be expressed as a set of numbers you could just copy and paste into the instrument editor. I'm no expert with the instrument editor yet, but I've stumbled across quite a few fti files(mostly from the old forums, I didn't even know this one existed for awhile!) I'd be interested in using. It'd just make my life a lot easier until I get better at using the instrument editor lol.

Overlord99

Re: Is it generally acceptable to use other people's instrument patches?

Postby Overlord99 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 am

I don't see why it would be an issue, as long as you gave credit to the person from whom you got the instrument.

sirocyl

Postby sirocyl » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:58 am

It's hard to say.
As far as DPCM, FDS and N163 instruments, some are pretty common and simple in their implementation, such as a triangle, sawtooth, sine/powersine, or a sample from a more capable common digital instrument like a SID or an ADLIB.
More complex samples are often hand-tuned and very well-adapted to the song they're in, and copying them won't just be bad form, but it could make your work sound worse than if you make the instrument yourself.

For pulse, triangle and noise instruments, it's a little more complicated, but boils down to "Is this something a lot of people have done or would do?"
If there's a lot of parameters and a certain technique to how it's put together, then it shouldn't be copied.
If it's something simple, such as a "| 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" voice on a VRC6 instrument, I could see no ill will from it being used in your own things.

That said, it is always good to ask permission from the original creator, and give credit where it is due.

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:56 am

If it doesn't fit in the instrument name you could always put that info in the Module Comments. I say you don't even require it to pop up on file open as long as the info is there in your module.
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:12 pm

I see instruments as simple sequences that you can even accidentally copy, although if you do take other people's instruments, I suggest giving credit, just like the others have said. Some take more effort to make, like N163 instruments, so a little credit is always nice.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

za909

Postby za909 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:42 pm

I also suggest giving credit, but personally anything from me is fine to take. I only grrr when I see people taking my own melodic DPCM sets without giving credit.

Pencildragon

Postby Pencildragon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 pm

sirocyl wrote:If it's something simple, such as a "| 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" voice on a VRC6 instrument, I could see no ill will from it being used in your own things.

This is mostly what I was talking about, for instance if I found a distorted guitar made from a pulse wave channel, I don't have the first clue how I'd go about making something like that which might actually sound acceptable yet lol. So it'd be really nice to be able to use the one I found! :)

Xyz wrote:If it doesn't fit in the instrument name you could always put that info in the Module Comments. I say you don't even require it to pop up on file open as long as the info is there in your module.

I actually never thought about giving credit using the instrument name, but for my YouTube videos I don't show the instrument panel(to allow the most space for the note tracker portion on screen). But that's definitely a good idea for when I post ftm's!

Dr. Merio wrote:I see instruments as simple sequences that you can even accidentally copy, although if you do take other people's instruments, I suggest giving credit, just like the others have said. Some take more effort to make, like N163 instruments, so a little credit is always nice.

Like I said, N163 and other sample-based instruments are a beast of their own. I see it the same as using somebody else's samples you didn't purchase, unless they said "Here, these are free to use" I probably wouldn't use them.

za909 wrote:I also suggest giving credit, but personally anything from me is fine to take. I only grrr when I see people taking my own melodic DPCM sets without giving credit.

I wouldn't feel right using someone's DPCM samples unless they expressly stated people/me could use them freely.

Thanks everyone for answering my question!

James_S

Postby James_S » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Just ask them, I'm sure if you PM them and ask politely they'll allow you to use them.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:51 pm

Like everyone else has already said, I think it's okay if you give credit to the creator of the instrument. It's generally a good idea to PM the creator first and ask for permission too. I personally have nothing against people taking my instruments, it just means they liked 'em. :D
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Gamma

Postby Gamma » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:27 am

I've always maintained the attitude that if an FTM or NSF has been shared, any content contained within is fair game to re-use, since a conscious decision was made to provide the module in a format in which it is easy to take instruments and samples from. These modules being provided publicly is what allowed me to learn in the first place, after all.

I used to give credit here and there with use of samples or more complex instruments, but I ceased doing so once I realized that there's actually no way for me to tell if somebody created the instrument or made the high quality sample themselves, leaving me little reason to credit them as the source when they themselves may have "stolen" it.

Return to “General Talk”